Hewlett-Packard
3.0 of 5 7,586 reviews
www.hp.com Palo Alto, CA 5000+ Employees

Great Potential - horribly managed

Software Test Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 10 years

ProsHP has managed, in spite of themselves, to hire some amazing people. The flexible hours were good and most of the lower level managers I worked with were very good. HPs product line and technologies were fun to work with.

ConsUpper managers loved to do a re-org about every three months. Your managers constantly changed so you would have to start at ground zero every few months. HP executive management has flailed around with each successive CEO. Lew Platt started the downfall, but Carly kicked it into overdrive. Mark Hurd didn't help and still waiting to see if Meg Whitman will do any better.

HPs considerable talent base is under-utilized and often experiences high turnover rates becase they find better jobs. HP management responds by outsourcing to India, but they don't outsource smartly. In my time there we had to redo all the work they did in India multiple times, resulting in HP paying twice to get the work done when they could have paid once. A lot of their cost cutting measure made no sense at all. They also are not too keen on getting input from their employees on how things could be done better.

One of the more ridiculous things I experienced in my time there was the "Carly Massacre" where thousands of people were cut with no rhyme or reason. I worked alongside engineers who had very impressive records and they were cut while a lot of the deadweight was left.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe board needs to fire the entire upper level management structure. They need to hire people with real world experience, not CEOs who are being forced from their current positions due to their failure and ineptitude. They also need to think outside of the box and quit looking for CEOs educated at the worthless Ivy League business schools. They should structure each division of the company as it's own separate entitiy to rise or fall on it's own merits.

Getting better with Meg Whitman at the helm

IT Analyst (Current Employee)
Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Lots of work to do, you can move around, lots of courses to take advantage… Cons: Pay is average, layoffs are still coming for next 18… Advice to Senior Management: Innovation is key, in all areas of the business. The… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Promotion at this HP site

Remote Desktop (Current Employee)
Pontiac, MI

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: The co-workers are great, and facilities are ok Cons: Neopotism needed for promotion, individual without required BA or BS are promoted to supervisor after less that 2 monts as a team lead, where the… Advice to Senior Management: You need to nip this in the bud, before all the excellent sharp workers… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Hewlett-Packard.

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!

Hewlett-Packard – Why Work for Us?

The start-up that started it all. Six decades before high tech and dot coms existed, classmates Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard built an audio oscillator in a garage and launched a technology revolution. Today we’re… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hewlett-Packard reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman. All reviews posted anonymously by Hewlett-Packard employees.