Hewlett-Packard

www.hp.com

Great Potential - horribly managed

Software Test Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsHP has managed, in spite of themselves, to hire some amazing people. The flexible hours were good and most of the lower level managers I worked with were very good. HPs product line and technologies were fun to work with.

ConsUpper managers loved to do a re-org about every three months. Your managers constantly changed so you would have to start at ground zero every few months. HP executive management has flailed around with each successive CEO. Lew Platt started the downfall, but Carly kicked it into overdrive. Mark Hurd didn't help and still waiting to see if Meg Whitman will do any better.

HPs considerable talent base is under-utilized and often experiences high turnover rates becase they find better jobs. HP management responds by outsourcing to India, but they don't outsource smartly. In my time there we had to redo all the work they did in India multiple times, resulting in HP paying twice to get the work done when they could have paid once. A lot of their cost cutting measure made no sense at all. They also are not too keen on getting input from their employees on how things could be done better.

One of the more ridiculous things I experienced in my time there was the "Carly Massacre" where thousands of people were cut with no rhyme or reason. I worked alongside engineers who had very impressive records and they were cut while a lot of the deadweight was left.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe board needs to fire the entire upper level management structure. They need to hire people with real world experience, not CEOs who are being forced from their current positions due to their failure and ineptitude. They also need to think outside of the box and quit looking for CEOs educated at the worthless Ivy League business schools. They should structure each division of the company as it's own separate entitiy to rise or fall on it's own merits.

With everyone working at home, zero collaboration and lead-with-no prevails

Professional Service Manager (Former Employee) Denver, CO

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than a year

Pros: Good people, some good leadership Cons: Bad environment = "can't do" attitude, too many overlays and folks getting… Advice to Senior Management: Some great leadership, lots of good folks...take a look at the mid-level management layers and… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Fast-Paced work

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Austin, TX

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time for less than a year

Pros: You get to learn a lot of technologies within a short… Cons: Sometimes it's a little too fast paced. Advice to Senior Management: Spread out the tasks more evenly over time. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Hewlett-Packard.

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!