There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

this company is going down soon

Current Employee - Business Consultant in Roseville, CA
Current Employee - Business Consultant in Roseville, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

none that I can think of

Cons

In IT organizations, politics is around managers managing "assets" - databases or applications that own and protect even if it does not make sense

Advice to Management

what advice can you give to folks who have been there for 10-15 years and keep digging the same holes over and over

Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Good people, bad management, high turnover, some interesting projects...

Former Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great people to work with. Non-competitive environment where employees help each other succeed. You will meet some old-timers that have been working for HP for more than 30 years. These people rock. - Market average salary, benefits. - Great work-life balance. It was rare working overtime. - Recognizable brand -HP.

Cons

- Bad management and board. Previous CEO's have damaged the company and positioned it in a weaker spot than many competitors. - CEO's/Management get away with high compensations and benefits while driving the company down. - High turnover rate for employees. - Project management is a big challenge. An employee might end up working on many projects at the same time, creating inefficiencies.

Advice to Management

- Set a vision and sell that vision to your employees and clients. Employees need to embrace that vision and live it. - Listen more. - Act more responsibly and let your salaries and financial benefits be more tied to your performance and the company's performance overall.

2. Often too many chefs stirring the broth !

Former Employee - Technical Consultant
    Former Employee - Technical Consultant

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Stability, training budget, comfortable offices, good work/life balance.

Cons

Very stifling organisational environment and can often be difficult to make a significant contribution or impact as a Senior Engineer with the number of PMs and Architects that get invovled in even the smallest and simplest of projects. Too much lateral management - seems to be way more managers than individual contributors e.g. I had three different concurrent managers, only one of whom I have any regular contact with ( and only on a monthly basis at that). Also accepted a role in the job family above my current role and the goalposts have changed three times with regards to the corresponding promotion I was promised, it eventually felt like the proverbial pot of gold at the end of the rainbow despite positive feedback in my new role from my line managers.

Advice to Management

If you want to cut costs, cut the unneeded and often duplicated middle management and put an end to the wage freezes of the past few years. Also it should be possible get an uplift in salary following a promotion without having to attract a counter offer following an external job offer from another employer. These are the two key aspects I believe will greatly improve staff moral across the organisation.