Hewlett-Packard

www.hp.com
  www.hp.com
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Great first job out of college.

Current Employee - IT Developer in Austin, TX
Current Employee - IT Developer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- People are generally friendly; very few "snobs".

- Flex time and lots of opportunity to work from home.

- You will work with people across the globe. This could count as a Con at times, though!

- Lots of opportunity for career development within the company.

- Great name to put on your resume.

Cons

- Geographically-distributed teams make collaboration difficult at times.

- No opportunity/budget for travel (at least in my group; previous manager told me "you have a telephone" when I inquired about traveling for training).

- The sheer size of HP makes you feel a bit unimportant if you are a low-level employee.

- Asia/Pacific teams usually require close coordination with Americas team members to be effective; expect to be on many late-night/early-morning conference calls!

- Flex time/WFH capability can lead to an "always working" situation if you are not careful. Managers have (in my experience) started to expect some of us to be available basically 24/7, including weekends.

- Facilities (at least at the Austin site) are a bit lacking. No covered parking and a general "90s" feel to the building. It's not an office I enjoy driving to every day. The Real Estate group is attempting to resolve this, but I have not seen any real movement since the spring.

- Pay raises and bonuses are based entirely on your manager. Get a poor manager (as I did when I joined), don't expect a raise or bonus. Particularly frustrating when you see other people in similar positions getting paid more because their team/manager is better.

- Getting anything done work-wise requires going through lots of paperwork (inevitably through HP-developed "tools") and dealing with many different governance groups. Getting even the slightest thing done is usually a very difficult process that ends up taking way too long. This is the area HP could most improve in - streamlining the different processes and getting rid of the red tape. Attempts have been made at this but I don't think they have been very successful.

- Your experience will depend entirely on your group. Mine is not that great. YMMV.

I realize there are many more cons than pros, but such is the nature of most online reviews!

Visit the Austin site more often. You guys show up once every six months and then disappear. It doesn't give us a very good feeling, and I think this can be partially blamed for the huge amount of attrition in fall 2012.

9460 Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard (View Most Recent)

Fun and rewarding sales experience

Former Employee - Service Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Service Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good management team, excellent benefits and great teams.

Cons

Too many conference calls on a weekly basis

Good place to work

Current Employee - Technical Consultant
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility educational opportunities career opportunities management opportunities

Cons

none at the moment none at the moment none at the moment

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard