Hewlett-Packard

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Good benefits, interesting work

Former Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than a year)

Pros

10 days of child care per employee, can purchase vacation time! Benefits were very good. Lap top for each employee, and really responsive technical and HR support.

Cons

No good discounts on hardware. Found better prices at BestBuy. All in all, a solid company that one could retire in.

Keep it stable

9752 Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard (View Most Recent)

Great first job out of college.

Current Employee - IT Developer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - IT Developer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- People are generally friendly; very few "snobs".

- Flex time and lots of opportunity to work from home.

- You will work with people across the globe. This could count as a Con at times, though!

- Lots of opportunity for career development within the company.

- Great name to put on your resume.

Cons

- Geographically-distributed teams make collaboration difficult at times.

- No opportunity/budget for travel (at least in my group; previous manager told me "you have a telephone" when I inquired about traveling for training).

- The sheer size of HP makes you feel a bit unimportant if you are a low-level employee.

- Asia/Pacific teams usually require close coordination with Americas team members to be effective; expect to be on many late-night/early-morning conference calls!

- Flex time/WFH capability can lead to an "always working" situation if you are not careful. Managers have (in my experience) started to expect some of us to be available basically 24/7, including weekends.

- Facilities (at least at the Austin site) are a bit lacking. No covered parking and a general "90s" feel to the building. It's not an office I enjoy driving to every day. The Real Estate group is attempting to resolve this, but I have not seen any real movement since the spring.

- Pay raises and bonuses are based entirely on your manager. Get a poor manager (as I did when I joined), don't expect a raise or bonus. Particularly frustrating when you see other people in similar positions getting paid more because their team/manager is better.

- Getting anything done work-wise requires going through lots of paperwork (inevitably through HP-developed "tools") and dealing with many different governance groups. Getting even the slightest thing done is usually a very difficult process that ends up taking way too long. This is the area HP could most improve in - streamlining the different processes and getting rid of the red tape. Attempts have been made at this but I don't think they have been very successful.

- Your experience will depend entirely on your group. Mine is not that great. YMMV.

I realize there are many more cons than pros, but such is the nature of most online reviews!

Visit the Austin site more often. You guys show up once every six months and then disappear. It doesn't give us a very good feeling, and I think this can be partially blamed for the huge amount of attrition in fall 2012.

A bright outlook and making the right choices

Current Employee - I Work for Them in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - I Work for Them in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Employee quality centric, customer satisfaction oriented. I've seen this company pitted against others as direct competitors, and HP consistently chooses the right route and the quality of service has consistently been superior vs their competitors. I was skeptical and timid to make the choice to jump to HP from my old company, but I can say today that I do not regret this and I'm thankful for the opportunity.

Cons

I will not get too much into the cons, there are some, but nothing detrimental. Various things like ATLs not being technically involved in teams, the position is a little bit of a misnomer, or TLs leaning a little too much on the "leaders" that emerge from the teams rather than being invested and attentive. However, overall, I really don't have too much to complain about.

PMs need to be more familiar with PM tools.

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard