Hewlett-Packard

www.hp.com
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

A great brand name, not "Best in Class" with any product line. All the good talent is leaving.

Current Employee - Parnter Business Manager in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Parnter Business Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great company with great brand recognition. Good life work balance. Nice products.

Cons

Too big for its own good. 320 people. Not "Best in Class" with any product line except maybe printers, but they are made by Canon.

All the good talent is leaving. Hiring too many inexperienced people. Spends billions (not millions) on new companies just to seem the fail. Wastes lots of money.

Senior VP use private planes for personal use. There is not that much PC business in Hawaii. Seriously? It is a demotivating for the team.

Watch management expenditures and personal use of company jets.

9749 Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard (View Most Recent)

Frustrating

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Large company with alot of opportunity

Cons

Working conditions are unacceptable. Too much work to be effective, lousy compensation.

You get what you pay for... Hire inexperienced people and and get inexperienced reuslts.

Most disorganized company ever...

Former Employee - Business Analyst II in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Business Analyst II in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Working for HP is a good way to pad your resume. They offer continuing education classes through their internak "HP University," so you are encouraged, even expected to continue learning more about your field and the company. HP also has an employee disaster outreach team that is fantastic.

Cons

Having an international company with tens of thousands of employees, you would expect there to be some form of organization. I have honestly never worked for a more inefficient company than HP. IT should be noted that my experience is limited to working for their "enterprise services" group. I was specifically assigned to the Oklahoma Medicaid account (Title XIX.)

There is an overabundance of management, yet a serious lack of leadership. Before my first day with the company, my manager was changed three times. To make matters worse, the system in place for making any system changes is excessive. to make a single change often required 5 or 6 change orders, each with a minimum of 2 project managers (often different for each change order.) Any time a defect was idenified - it generated its own set of change orders that often did not tie directly back to the originals.

The insanity does not stop there. . . I was employed as a business analyst, but was placed in a customer support role as a tester. While BA's can and often do some testing, it is not our sole function. Why the company takes someone with a very broad skill set and chooses to utilize only 5% of that knowledge, I will never understand.

I was hired as a salary employee, yet my manager emailed me almost daily requesting that I fill out a timecard. This is FAR from normal business practice for salaried employees. If that wasn't bad enough, if I didn't log 8 hours every day on said timecard, I was asked how I was going to "make up" the time. Unfortunately, the times I logged less than 8 hours (typically on a Friday,) I had actually worked 9 to 10 hour days Monday through Thursday. This begs the question, if I log 45 hours in a week, yet only work 7 hours on a Friday, then exactly what time am I "making up?"

Bottom line is this: HP is probably a decent company to intern for or have as a first job out of college to pad your resume with, but for someone who already has several years of professional experience in their field, steer clear!

Meg, you're doing a good job of turning the company around, but Enterprise Services still needs a SERIOUS overhaul.

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard