Hewlett-Packard
3.0 of 5 8,217 reviews
www.hp.com Palo Alto, CA 5000+ Employees

Focus is back on the customer and employees

Product Manager (Current Employee)
Boston, MA

ProsReinvestment - a word often promised, but seldom delivered on in American companies, is happening at HP. Talent from declining businesses has been moved to growing businesses.
Advice to employees, don't sit around waiting for an opportunity to fall in your lap, and don't just submit your resume to the online system. Get out there - it's a big company, there are lots of hungry organizations.

It's nice to see professional employees being valued once again. I have what amounts to a peer relationship with my manager and director. They are smart, resourceful, and very knowledgeable in the technology of my business. The way it should be.

There's a lot of very smart people at HP. The prior slash and burn regime is gone, they stuck around too long. A one trick pony to prop up stock prices only. The customers and the employees suffered. Rather than acquiring companies, riding their profits for a year and dismissing the employees, HP is now focused on investments.

I am glad to see we have ostensibly a competent board of directors, and a president who has core values that extend beyond the income statement.

Three years ago, this place was depressing, everyone felt threatened. The only good side to all the layoffs is that much of the dead wood is gone. Almost everyone I work with is very competent.

I moved laterally to another organization and couldn't be happier from a development point of view. Life is all about the choices you make. Don't depend on any company to create a career path for you. You make your own bed, whether it be IBM or Google.

I am also happy to see salary raises back again. The days of "print your own anniversary certificate" seem to have passed.

Finally I am glad to see a number of the old regime guard hit the road (thank you Meg.)

No, not everything has been off-shored. There is a lot of original, creative new product development going on in the USA. We have a substantial force in Bangalore, but we've reached a healthy balance of talent.

ConsI understand what others say about managers who track to the "Peter Principle". Unfortunately, there will always be some of those type around. As another reviewer said,

I retain reservations about the future of the company until I see Meg Whitman actually fulfill her promise to turn things around. If she can't, she'll be out the door it will be hell around here.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor line managers and directors, value your people, take seriously their advice and make the decisions developed by your team. Be in the trenches, give your team free reign and always offer to help.

For executives, keep your promises. Maintain professional integrity. If your employees are successful, then you will be successful. Support them. Let money talk (this is capitalism, isn't it?) that gets everyone's attention. Be transparent and accessible. These are things that have been lacking for the past 7 years. Good luck.

Former leading company that endured failed leadership - may have now bottomed out.

Director (Former Employee)
    Boise, ID

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Great people - well-educated - want to succeed - incredible… Cons: Poorly lead - especially the Mark Hurd era - destroyed morale and company culture. Floundered to… Advice to Senior Management: Need to make some hard strategic direction choices and commit. Communicate… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Good company and lots of smart employees

Program Manager (Former Employee)
    Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Excellent employees, technology, business, management Cons: Management changes last several years Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Hewlett-Packard.

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!

Hewlett-Packard – Why Work for Us?

The start-up that started it all. Six decades before high tech and dot coms existed, classmates Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard built an audio oscillator in a garage and launched a technology revolution. Today we’re… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hewlett-Packard reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman. All reviews posted anonymously by Hewlett-Packard employees.