Hard times

Former Contractor - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX
Former Contractor - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at Hewlett-Packard as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Some very smart people work there. They have been around, know the company well. laid back atmosphere.

Cons

Fallen on hard times. Poor pay. Much older work force, has trouble attracting youngsters. Poor sanitation and perks like bad cafeteria with overpriced food

Advice to Management

Be more aggressive with new markets

Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Wait for the turnaround to complete

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Large, well established company with household branding and name recognition.

Cons

Current turnaround is confusing and leading to knowledge drain at the company.

Advice to Management

Market share is a result of your activities in the market, not something you can go out and get. Focus more on he customer and the quality and the market share will come on its own.

Too big and bloated

Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No pros really. I joined via an acquisition and I went from a 2000 person company to a 200,000 person company. All the benefits that used exist at HP were phased out in the name of cost cutting.

Cons

Too big. Too bloated. Too bureaucratic. Too many policies and rules in place. The only people I know that stayed were the people who wanted a safe job and could take some abuse. I came from a fast agile company with very few layers of management. In professional services we were generating 30% margins. Post HP acquisition we added at least 2 management layers and lost money. Of course, they blamed it on our expenses (which were 90% billed to the client anyway). We had multiple re-orgs all in the name of efficiency and all ran by multiple layers of management who insisted they added value. I used to work at a place where success was driven by our organization's focus on our product. Once I joined HP our in-flight projects were all axed because we competed with internal projects which were still on the drawing board.

Advice to Management

Try truly innovating and focusing on the company instead of shareholders. It might hurt in the short run but it will payoff in the long run. And definitely revisit all the layers of middle management that you have. I would say most of them are more concerned about justifying their existence than producing for the company.