Hewlett-Packard

www.hp.com

Good Company good Peers

I worked at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Excellent work life Balance
Good Place to work

Cons

None i could think of

None

Other Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

HP was great. Now it's just like any other struggling company

Former Employee - IT Analyst  in  Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - IT Analyst in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There are still many great people at HP. Current management understands that changes need to be made. HP can be a good place to get experience that you can use elsewhere.

Cons

Morale and employee motivation are at an all time low. Doing a good job and buying into the current company strategy and direction do not help job security. Smart employees are focusing on their own needs and HP is just a step in their career.

Time is running out. For years HP has benchmarked to be like other companies regarding salaries, work environment, benefits, etc.. You have succeeded. HP is just another company. HP used to be the company that others tried to copy. If HP wants the brightest and best employees, they need to offer an environment that will attract and motivate them.

Too big and bloated

Current Employee - Technical Consultant  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for less than a year

Pros

No pros really. I joined via an acquisition and I went from a 2000 person company to a 200,000 person company. All the benefits that used exist at HP were phased out in the name of cost cutting.

Cons

Too big. Too bloated. Too bureaucratic. Too many policies and rules in place. The only people I know that stayed were the people who wanted a safe job and could take some abuse. I came from a fast agile company with very few layers of management. In professional services we were generating 30% margins. Post HP acquisition we added at least 2 management layers and lost money. Of course, they blamed it on our expenses (which were 90% billed to the client anyway).

We had multiple re-orgs all in the name of efficiency and all ran by multiple layers of management who insisted they added value. I used to work at a place where success was driven by our organization's focus on our product. Once I joined HP our in-flight projects were all axed because we competed with internal projects which were still on the drawing board.

Try truly innovating and focusing on the company instead of shareholders. It might hurt in the short run but it will payoff in the long run. And definitely revisit all the layers of middle management that you have. I would say most of them are more concerned about justifying their existence than producing for the company.

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard.

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!