Hewlett-Packard

www.hp.com
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

This was a great company, but it has gone downhill.

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer
Former Employee - Senior Software Developer

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working with top-notch engineers.

Cons

HP seems to have a hard time figuring out what business it is in. Many projects where cancelled after a few months.

Figure out what business you are in and stick to it. Engineers will gain a better competitive edge if they work in the same area for a longer period of time.
Return to an emphasis on quality. HP products I've used of late (laptops and printers) have decreased so much in quality that I won't buy them any more. This has hurt the value of the HP brand, and it will be difficult to re-earn the reputation HP used to have.
Emphasize win/win situations for HP and its customers. Toward the end of my time at HP, HP only seemed to want to suck as much money out of customers as possible.

9729 Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard (View Most Recent)

great people but terrible leaders!!

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

great people that want to do a great job but are "hamstrung" by lousy leaders and suffocating processes!!

Cons

middle- and top-level managers take incompetence to new, incredibly high levels!! processes allow very little room for innovation and quick reaction to customer needs...

get a clue on what needs to be done to become a top-performing company by LISTENING to the employees that are actually delivering the work!!

Yet another big segmented company

Current Employee - Program Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Large company that can write its losses off to save other sectors. Pretty laid back work environment. They are not big into micro managing.

Cons

Work processes are confusing and expectations not realistic.Real work often gets completed. Org changes are a monthly deal around there including frequent layoffs. Worked there for 2 years and had 3 managers. Leadership has been iffy due to poor sales, technology direction, a recent CEO change. It reminds me of a major league game being played with no formal playbook. Finally raises are null and void. Negotiate up front because you may be stuck with the same salary for years to come.

Devise a realistic plan and stick to it. Stop inventing stuff on the fly. Pay your employees that work at this billion dollar company!!! The outsourcing madness is costing more pain than having staff employees!

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard