Hewlett-Packard

www.hp.com

Little opportunity, little acknowledgement, little support, little pay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLarge company with brand name recognition. HP has several branches that have global reach.

ConsThere was a culture of churn-and-burn through the individual contributor level employee. When we brought up our need for more resources to be able to sustain our forecasted workload, after our team of 5 had each worked 45+ hours of overtime in a 2 week period, our manager "encouraged us to work more overtime" in order to keep up.

Upper management had an immense sense of entitlement. My team was told from the department director "If you have any problems, please let me know. But don't call me directly, you can reach my secretary and she will route the issue appropriately." Mid-level management was either coached to ignore individual contributor suggestions for improvement, or they were kept as far out of the loop as their subordinates.

Top performers were constantly passed over for promotions due to bureaucracy. The multiple organization trees segregated the individual contributor track from the management track which kept high performing knowledgeable people at the lower levels while shuffling around people managers with little incumbent knowledge of the department or operations at the top.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your people. Watch for talent within your organizations. Acknowledge and reward your own people. Adopt a better pay structure.

Work here if you cant find any other employer

IT PMO Manager (Former Employee) Roseville, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Steady Work if you don't get WFR'ed Cons: Worked at home most of my 15 years with HP Advice to Senior Management: Treat your employees as partners not fodder. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Great but waning fast

Partner Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Reasonable salary and good benefits. Company has good name… Cons: Too much management and not enough workers. Culture used to be great but over the past decade… Advice to Senior Management: Cut the executive management staff No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Hewlett-Packard.

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!