Hewlett-Packard

www.hp.com
  www.hp.com
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Little opportunity, little acknowledgement, little support, little pay

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Large company with brand name recognition. HP has several branches that have global reach.

Cons

There was a culture of churn-and-burn through the individual contributor level employee. When we brought up our need for more resources to be able to sustain our forecasted workload, after our team of 5 had each worked 45+ hours of overtime in a 2 week period, our manager "encouraged us to work more overtime" in order to keep up.

Upper management had an immense sense of entitlement. My team was told from the department director "If you have any problems, please let me know. But don't call me directly, you can reach my secretary and she will route the issue appropriately." Mid-level management was either coached to ignore individual contributor suggestions for improvement, or they were kept as far out of the loop as their subordinates.

Top performers were constantly passed over for promotions due to bureaucracy. The multiple organization trees segregated the individual contributor track from the management track which kept high performing knowledgeable people at the lower levels while shuffling around people managers with little incumbent knowledge of the department or operations at the top.

Listen to your people. Watch for talent within your organizations. Acknowledge and reward your own people. Adopt a better pay structure.

8800 Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard (View Most Recent)

Work here if you cant find any other employer

Former Employee - IT PMO Manager  in  Roseville, CA
    Former Employee - IT PMO Manager in Roseville, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Steady Work if you don't get WFR'ed

Cons

Worked at home most of my 15 years with HP

Treat your employees as partners not fodder.

Great people, unclear management objectives

Current Employee - Program Manager  in  Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Boise, ID

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great folks who know technology

Cons

Management needs to direct R&D into new spaces and keep existing businesses generating cash (printers, PC's) with minimal R&D investment. Work on new technologies versus me too products.

Focus on a market (probably enterprise, business to business), divest the consumer markets, get into the 3D printer space by converting some printer groups.

Figure out what is next beyond laptops and tablets.

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!