There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Little opportunity, little acknowledgement, little support, little pay

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Large company with brand name recognition. HP has several branches that have global reach.

Cons

There was a culture of churn-and-burn through the individual contributor level employee. When we brought up our need for more resources to be able to sustain our forecasted workload, after our team of 5 had each worked 45+ hours of overtime in a 2 week period, our manager "encouraged us to work more overtime" in order to keep up. Upper management had an immense sense of entitlement. My team was told from the department director "If you have any problems, please let me know. But don't call me directly, you can reach my secretary and she will route the issue appropriately." Mid-level management was either coached to ignore individual contributor suggestions for improvement, or they were kept as far out of the loop as their subordinates. Top performers were constantly passed over for promotions due to bureaucracy. The multiple organization trees segregated the individual contributor track from the management track which kept high performing knowledgeable people at the lower levels while shuffling around people managers with little incumbent knowledge of the department or operations at the top.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people. Watch for talent within your organizations. Acknowledge and reward your own people. Adopt a better pay structure.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

sales engineer

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

big company a lot of opportunities

Cons

slow internal processes. Things move slow internally

2. Great place to work with vast opportunities for advancement

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Huge company, with many job categories. Management and Senior execs encourage employees to spread themselves around and find what role/organization they are most interested in. The opportunity to broaden your skills is always available and there are constant internal career fairs to familiarize yourself with other teams and groups and be aware of potential job openings.

Cons

Huge company, it can be hard to make a name for yourself and connect with your senior leadership. Also, the system of recognition and reward for outstanding work is not quite up to par.

Advice to Management

Do a better job of recognizing and rewarding your employees. Also be more accessible.