Hewlett-Packard

www.hp.com
  www.hp.com
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Conservative Mediocre And Out-Of-Tune, Yet Stable and Respectable

Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in Bangalore (India)
Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

1) Bank-job like stability (if you really care about this)
2) Technical career path that goes all the way up to VP level
3) Good middle managers (the top lot is rotten)

Cons

1) Bad senior management - the place is run by MBAs who do not understand technology and who are happy milking employees for everything they are worth
2) Treated like a resource rather than a human
3) Difficult to do out-of-the-box things
4) Environment is perfect breeding ground for lacklustre mediocre types who are perfectly content with retaining the status quo

1) Act like a technology leader.
2) Get out of the MBA mindset and learn/understand technology too
3) Stop being so defensive as an organization
4) Get into higher margin businesses that allow you to pay your engineers more

9490 Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard (View Most Recent)

Getting Worse

Current Employee - Software Engineer IV
    Current Employee - Software Engineer IV

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Good conscientious individual performers who have built relationships and trust with clients -- that has brought business to EDS and now HP.

Cons

The Narcissic managers at the top are used to running a widgit company. Some of the decisions that are manadated down need to be in a Dilbert cartoon. US employees do not have a future with this company.

Running a clients IT shop is more than providing a body that can perform a technical function. The only relationships that last are built on trust.. There is no trust here.

HP - Once a great company

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer

I worked at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

- HP still has some of the finest employees in the electronic industries
     - I know there are still some middle managers who treat their employees with fairness and respect.
     - Entry-level engineers can gain valuable experience - plus it looks good to have HP on your resume

Cons

- Since Lew Platt's departure, the HP way has eroded and the company is a shell of what it once was. There is a constant stream of cutting benefits and freezing salaries while compensation continues to increase for senior managment.
     - The morale at this company is low. It used to be that employees stayed working till the wee hours of the morning because they had a sense of ownership and loyalty. Now, as soon as 5 or 6 o'clock arrives, the parking lot empties.
     - I am saddened that a company which I admired so much and where I was valued has changed so dramtically for the worst .

You can't run an R&D operation as you would a sales force. Suscessively increasing ranking cut-off points creates an atmosphere of fear and distrust between individual contributors. As a result, teamwork is not encouraged and creative solutions decrease.
    The only metric for success seems to be the stock price but I believe senior managment is sacrificing long term success for short term gains. I agree with the other posts in that there will be a mass exodus when the economy improves.

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard