Hewlett-Packard

www.hp.com

Sad decline of corporate values

Senior Scientist (Current Employee) Corvallis, OR

ProsPay is OK, location in Oregon is awesome.

ConsThere is no technical ladder - Most technical people stay at the grade they were hired in at for their entire career unless they go into management. In the past few years an "us-them" culture has developed, with the two sides being management and workers. It is very antagonistic. I have been with the company for 20 years and have seen about a 33% drop in "total rewards" with cuts in pension, 5% cut in salary, cuts in stock purchase matching, cuts in 401k contributions and cuts in availability of restricted stock or options. No longer are "senior engineer" level technical folks eligible for restricted stock or stock options, which for the past 15 years has been on average 15% of my annual income. Clearly, an excellent performer throughout my career, there is no technical ladder worth mentioning and the corporate culture only seems to value management, not technical expertise.

It may be a good place to work if you are a business person who simply looks on products and people as widgets to be managed. If you are a technical person who has invested years in getting a Ph.D., and understands the differences between material science, electrical engineering, and chemistry, and wish to be the top in your field and gain the respect of peers inside AND outside of your company... this is probably not a good place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are undervaluing your technical staff and this will, in time, result in an inability of HP to become or remain a technical "widget" leader. You seem to value widgets in as far as you make money on them - companies that better understand the technology underlying the widgets will be in a position to more successfully develop and market them.

Worst Place to Work on the Planet

Engineering Project Manager (Current Employee) Houston, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros: If you're out sick with a cold then you don' thave to take vacation.… Cons: Pay cuts, increased work loads due to job cuts and no raises for the added responsibilities, senior management that does absolutely no work and get… Advice to Senior Management: HP is a company that is doing very very well in today's market and needs to reward their employees adequately. The employees are your biggest… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

HP has very bad first level Managers

Information Developer III (Current Employee) Plano, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros: Company name stands good on your resume to look for… Cons: Too many managers and less individual contributors to work. First level managers show favoritism. Employees are rated based on how close they are to the… Advice to Senior Management: Please change the methods of performance evaluation. Please check on the first level managers. Please be aware that if this… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Hewlett-Packard.

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!