Hewlett-Packard

www.hp.com
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Senior software engineer

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Challenging,appreciative, no restriction on growth

Cons

Sometimes Projects move very slowly

9729 Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard (View Most Recent)

Loving it!

Current Employee - Software Developer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It has been close to 9 months that I have been at Hewlett-Packard and the experience has been nothing but awesome. The company is in the midst of transformation and yes there is restructuring going on, so obviously bonuses or raises is not something that you would expect. For me as a software developer its most important to learn something new everyday. And this is what happens to me everyday.

Cons

Too many meetings, but guess that's what happens when you are at any big company. Especially when practicing agile.

My managers are doing a good job.

Many years of dodging the Lay-off Bullet

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, pay, flexible hours/culture (in most cases). There is a strong team spirit and my managers always had my back. Employees working from home are treated well with whatever equipment they need to do their job.

Cons

Since acquiring Compaq, where I started, HP has been cutting technology, jobs, employee social programs, and shrinking some of the finer benefits -- no more vacation carry-over, no more after-hours, on-call or holiday pay, no more discount on Employee stock purchase, and a severe slashing of 'spot awards', stock options, year-end bonuses and other incentives or pats on the back for a job well done.
    As with my peers, most of my years with HP were filled with the uncertainty of continued future employment. I was Always keeping an eye open for the next opportunity to make a lateral or slightly upwards move to dodge the next Lay Off Bullet.
    HP has systematically cut their US Sales, Support and Development teams down to the bone... to the detriment of quality, customer satisfaction and reputation.

Stop outsourcing high-tech competencies to tragically unprepared entities.
    Use what tech muscle you still have in the US to dominate the world of 3D printing.

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard