Hewlett-Packard

Spent 7 happiest years of my career here

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Cupertino, CA
Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Great benefits
- Relaxed culture
- Friendly people
- Competitive pay (Bonuses, stock grants, etc)
- Gym and nice campus

Cons

- Company has gone through reshaping while I was there
- Has struggled financially - resulting in layoffs and other cost cutting
- Stock price has gone down and lots of reorg happening as company tries to reinvent
- Company gives up on too many projects/products too quickly or should have never gotten into it
- Still relying too much on printer business

- Need to be innovative and not get stuck in the old school way of doing things
- Too much politics and too many unnecessary middle managers

8872 Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard (View Most Recent)

Working at the old tech giant

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time

Pros

Company culture is good. The history of the company is a great umbrella to work under. Managers are encouraged to have employees take time off and follow through with vacation times. Work-life balance depends on where you work and which teams, but from my experience so far I've been able to have a good family work life balance. Having no issues with time off for things like like doctors appointments and kids stuff. The benefits although not top notch in the industry are still there, offering ample amounts of days off, holidays, sick days, some 401k(3% match), stock benefits could be better, but plenty of little perks if you want to take advantage of them; like workout classes, sports, and available gyms.

Cons

Career development is really much up to you since everyone is in "career development" stage it seems. This slows down the opportunity to make more money or get raises. Some teams or people feel they have grandfathered in to roles and don't need to either react quickly or change. Due to seniority these critical roles don't open up quick enough as removing someone is often dependent on self-attrition and it may seem your in career development hold for a long period unless you want to move completely to the many different organizations within the company.

Create a clear direction and value proposition for the company so employees have a common goal. Hold people accountable and stick to decisions instead of prematurely changing. Bring HP back to being the trail blazer instead of trail follower. HP needs to invest much more on opportunities to develop their aging work force. The internal HP Universities are useless and are no better than self guided learning at the library or online.

A great place to work!

Former Employee - Account Representative
    Former Employee - Account Representative

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I really enjoyed my employment at HP; the people and products I worked with are second to none. The workplace environment is professional and there is a great heritage of innovation running deep in the heart of this company.

Cons

This is a large corporation and the pressure is constantly there to reduce costs via outsourcing and benefit reductions.

More proactive effort should be made by management to retain and redeploy valuable employees to new opportunities within HP when a decision is made to outsource experienced and knowledgeable employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!