Hewlett-Packard

www.hp.com
  www.hp.com
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

A wonderful exposure to the different parts of the software cycle

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Roseville, CA
Former Employee - Software Engineer in Roseville, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I worked with a truly wonderful team in the summer after my freshman year of college. My manager was very adept at leading, knowing when to give people their space and when to push them to perform. I was also assigned a mentor who took such an active and positive role in my education, always answering my never-ending stream of questions enthusiastically and cheerfully. I learned such an unbelievable amount from him. Looking back, I really think that almost all of my time that summer was spent doing things that meaningfully improved my knowledge of computer science.

Cons

Our team was often changing focus because of uncertainty in at the highest levels of management, so it was sometimes difficult to find projects for me to work on. But I believe my team made a real effort to keep my busy with meaningful work.

9494 Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard (View Most Recent)

Database Administrator

Former Employee - Database Administrator in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Database Administrator in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The best place to work. There was a life/work balance and pay was good. Benefits are excellent.

Cons

I have no complain. I was sent to India to teach Indian IT professionals who would take over my job and that was fair. We were laid off as part of Mark Hurd's plan.

Good place to work depending on your pay/flexibility/work/life balance preferences.

Current Employee - Software Developer in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Large enough to offer various, interesting problem domains. General quality of the people I've worked with has been quite high. Encourages employees to get involved in their communities and matches charitable giving. Flexible work hours. Employment security, despite the press to the contrary, has been good. Meg seems to be moving things in the right direction.

Cons

A fair bit of turmoil in the upper management circles and board, questionable acquisition strategy and changing directions have hurt the HP brand a bit. Pay and other compensation aim only for parity with industry.

Continue on the path Meg has set forth. Increase R&D funding and return to a culture of innovation. Stop looking to IBM and others to decide what kind of company HP should become.

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard