There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Operations Program Manager

Current Employee - Operations Program Manager in Spokane, WA
Current Employee - Operations Program Manager in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great job, great place to work, awesome co-workers. none... this is a great company in which to work. Company takes care of their employees and offers tons of employee benefits

Cons

Advice to Management

none

reviews filtered by

In a team that has no clue or direction.

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The sole great thing about HP are the "individual contributors" (HP's term for non-management employees) I work with on a daily basis. I've had the privilege of working with some of the brightest and kindest people who are genuinely honest and hard-working.

Cons

HP puts on a great dog and pony show during the interviewing process. There were claims of a wonderful open-door policy, great work-life balance, and challenging, meaningful work.

Management is beyond a joke. I have never seen so many levels of management before in my life. As shocking as it sounds, I have actually witnessed mid-level managers intentionally stall processes or cause problems so they can make themselves "useful" and solve the problem themselves. Upper management then lauds the manager for fixing the issue they intentionally caused. Direct managers are often powerless and are simply mouthpieces for higher management. They regurgitate, out of fear, the talking points and complaints of higher management even when it's obvious they disagree themselves.

In addition, upper-management has no clue how to structure an organization. In my 10 months so far I've been through 3 significant reorganizations. Upper-management claims this is needed to keep things fresh and to "further align the needs of the business", but the truth is these reorgs were needed to fix the broken structure instituted by the previous reorg. As a result, managers change, projects get added and dropped and then the Focal Point Review ends up being a joke when you're being reviewed by a manager you've had for 2 months.

The actual office building is a joke. The cafeteria is horrible and absurdly expensive. The pods (anywhere from 4 to 6 in a single, larger cubicle) are cramped and noisy. Getting any needed equipment or office supplies is nearly impossible.

Advice to Management

Stop pretending things are ok. There are at least 4 people in my team of 10 who are actively looking for other work. HP is going downhill fast with subpar products and clunky business processes.

Farewell talent! Massive layoffs well underway

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Multinational company
    Decent health benefits
    Gym and health center on site

Cons

No remote work, despite situation or quality of worker
    Very incompetent employees; a few workhorses support the rest
    Leadership fails to recognize talent and only values hours present
    Few tech-savvy managers
    Inefficient development to test to launch process
    Known buggy products are released anyway
    Few opportunities for career development and discouraged from moving around within the company
    The bonuses for top performers are a joke

Advice to Management

Recognize and reward your top employees
    Dump the dead weight instead of just eliminating all remote workers like Yahoo
    Fix the bugs instead of just waiting for a customer to find it and complain
    Don't measure productivity by hours spent instead by quality and quantity of the work

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard