Hewlett-Packard

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Elder Company Attempts Turnaround for 21st Century

Current Employee - Software Engineer
Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Absolute best thing about HP Fort Collins is the flexible work hours.

People working there will vary from team to team, but if you find the right manager your experience will be amazing.

Company is working to hire younger employees.

Cons

Company is entrenched with typical corporate habits. That is to say they have a team of actuaries who determine if we give X$ as a bonus, and Y% raises we will keep Z% of our employees where Z is some percent of all employees minus n% turnover where n is some percent some study turned up as the proper percent a company the size of HP should have.

Upper management is handcuffed by thinking of elder generations. This results in a large backlog of older employees due for promotion while younger employees must get in line. This leads to large scale turnover of younger employees.

Higher younger people into true positions of power that are able to challenge the status quo.

9949 Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard (View Most Recent)

I learned many different ways to assemble units and also fix them.

I worked at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

For someone that wants to be in the computer field this was a great experience, because there is alot of hands on training that can be a part of your future career.

Cons

Moving on up was challenging, but it takes time and some things are hard to learn.

Management should look closer on who needs a promotion.

Overall a good place to work

Current Employee - Account Business Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Account Business Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedules, ability to work from home, although they are tightening up rules around that now in 2014. Lots of career opportunity. There are so many opportunities avilable to you once you get here. Management does really seem to care about their people.

Cons

Get in at the highest salary you can. Once you get here, it's hard to get any kind of a major increase even with a promotion. They really only do small increases for promotions and even smaller (right now anyway) for end of the year/performance reviews. Don't be afraid to ask for higher than what you think they'll pay. The least they'll do is say 'we can't pay that, but we can pay.....' and then they'll tell you the highest they can go.

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard