There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Management does not care about the workers with longevity.

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Denver, CO
Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Love the people that work for HP even lower-level management in our division were pretty good. Employees are very proud people and take pride in their work.

Cons

Many of us laid off with only two weeks to exit -- jobs going to China -- even Marketing, Operations, R&D.
They don't want older employees with good salaries and weeks of vacation even if ranked the highest level for most of my career. A well-respected, good working employee is dispensable to HP.

Advice to Management

Think about employees left behind when getting rid of folks. Let people have more time to exit and time to use some vacation so we don't lose it and enough time to hand off work to the employees left behind. It is so stressful for them as well as the folks getting laid off and the morale of the folks I left behind is horrible.

reviews filtered by
  1. Early Retiree

Former Employee - Global Marketing Manager in Remote, OR
    Former Employee - Global Marketing Manager in Remote, OR

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Big company lots of opportunity if you want to change positions

Cons

Company is struggling to get stock prices up. I left with a lot of underwater stock options

Advice to Management

Keep trying - you are head in the right direction. Try and get there faster - get rid of the "that's the way we have always done it" vs. the ones that say, we should do this different.

2. Good opportunity in the technology field

Current Employee - Product Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You can spend an entire career at HP and not get stale. HP is involved in almost every aspect of technology, and in almost every part of the world. Plenty of opportunity to experience, learn and grow, although the culture varies significantly by department and location

Cons

HP tends to focus on the next quarter and is relatively risk averse. there is innovation, but it's within the confines of the mainstream. anything outside the mainstream is rejected quickly and for good reason, HP sales is designed to move run rate products through established sales channels. Performance management is unstructured, and more often than not, is a beauty contest.

Advice to Management

Think big, stop paying lip service to a "customer centric culture" and start holding people accountable.

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard