There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Good company, not so good for employees

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Good managers and colleagues make HP an enjoyable place to work personally. Work-Life balance is respected here, and on my team it meant working at home when necessary and flexible working hours. Managers will give you all the resources and training you need to succeed in your role. HP is known worldwide so you have instant recognition wherever you go.

Cons

HP has shifted from the HP Way culture to more of a profit machine. The growth period is over it seems and now the focus is on cost-cutting. I can agree with cost-cutting in a terrible recession, however, there comes a point when your employees deserve recognition and honor. A major downside to working at HP is that the company is too large with too many worldwide sites. This means that restructuring and layoffs are easily done, since they already have the resources offshore to quickly reorganize teams.

The annual employee survey recently said that only 45% of employees "when offered a similar position with comparable salary and benefits, would stay at HP".

Advice to Management

The company is profitable and sustaining the recession quite well. It's time to reestablish the core values and beliefs of the HP Way and recognize employees. A little does go a long way, and employee moral is a key element in company growth.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Engineering is a dying skill at HP

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

The Engineers and peers at HP are top notch. I would gladly work with anyone on the site again. The Engineers are highly skilled and very motivated. Lower level management is doing the best that they can with what little tools that they have been given.

Cons

The company has turned it's back on the employees. We are regarded as liabilities rather than the assets that we really are. The bottom lines of the real estate and IT groups are more important than actually serving the workforce and enabling us to do our jobs.
    There is a real sense that Mark Hurd hates paying to develop products and that he would much rather just buy up companies that design a product.
    Benefits have eroded completely since I started at HP, and I no longer have any sense of loyalty to HP.
    Most design work at HP is now outsourced.

Advice to Management

Start realizing that your employees ARE your company. Without us, there would be no products and no revenue. We already have a steady loss of the top talent, and once the economy turns around, nothing that you can offer us will keep your key employees around.

HP going downhill

Current Employee - Hardware Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Hardware Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

- Great Co-workers
    - Faced paced, challenging environment

Cons

Even before the recessesion, Salary and Benefits were being squeezed.
    Outsourcing engineering has already been completed in Desktop and Laptops and is currently underway in Servers. In the next 2 years there will be likely no design engineering left on the Houston campus. Job ratings are on a relative scale to your peers so if you have a strong group of performers (pretty much true with all layoffs that have occured), you could be doing a good job and still be rated poorly. Management uses a fixed distrubtion system so somebody has to be assigned a poor rating. Everyone is constanly looking over their shoulder for the next layoff.

Advice to Management

Revise Employee ratings removing requirement for forced distribution of poor job ratings. This destroys moral and forces managers to rank empoyees and give a poor review (dreaded "i") to someone who may be doing a good job.