Hewlett-Packard

www.hp.com

Don't apply here for a consulting position!

Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsLarge company with some opportunity to move into other divisions if you can find a person to back you
Benefits are okay although limited choices
Not likely to go out of business - still ok in the laptop and printer business
Still paid when on the bench - won't be surprised if that changes...

ConsNot very much control over placement on projects - you go where they want you to go and there is no attention to your goals. The people that staff projects are overworked and have no ability to really tailor placement well.
Salary is low - 20K less than what my current role would normally pay (average based on research) and despite making good money last year, HP used the economic downturn to force a 5% base salary cut across the board. Bonuses are a joke after taxes.
Advancement is difficult - many hoops to jump through to get a promotion and seems more a "who you know" and how political you are
100% travel is generally required with little regard to where you live. Have been doing a minimum 2+ hr time difference for the last 2 years. I have never been placed locally or the closer direction (West) even though I live in a big city.
Internal training site is good and free - but pretty much all you get. No formal training for 2 1/2 years now.
Company is more focused on selling products rather than services. Services structure keeps changing and reducing in number ,and increasing reliance on off-shore and 3rd party consultants.
HP is focused on the bottom line - make more $$ - not on the employees who create the products.
HP is currently looking for consultants since they have potential work but nobody with the skills- my advice is work for them through a 3rd party - don't join them!

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer a way for employees to offer candid, anonymous feedback on co-workers and managers they have worked with on projects. You give awards to people who leave work early and spend their evening drinking on company funds while the worker bees are staying to 11pm, are stressed and exhausted. Employees get reviewed, but aren't given the chance to feedback on the PMs and other managers. It's a one way street downward. Offer more options for formal training rather than having to seek "no cost" training options to keep skills current.

Avoid HP: Employees are costs that need to be cut

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros: The work is interesting and the co-workers are nice. The flex-hours are… Cons: The CEO (Mark Hurd) considers employees to be costs that need to be cut. So he cuts everwhere he can, and outsources to China all… Advice to Senior Management: Value people above money. The CEO took a $40 million bonus as folks were being laid off, which is immoral. A VP below him… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Great Shareholder Wealth Accumulation - Employee Loyalty & Morale Down the Drain

(Current Employee)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros: CEO focus on operational excellence is pervasive driving great external results for shareholders and some selected senior executives. Company has extremely bright individuals at… Cons: No fixed pay increases as company has moved to variable compensation for all functions based on very subjective forced ranking system that has not been… Advice to Senior Management: Refocus on what helped HP become a great company - employee loyalty while still driving operational excellence… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Hewlett-Packard.

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!