There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

No compensation to match skills

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

Pros

Balance of life and work is controlled by the employee and the flexibility is built in to help employees establish a good balance

Cons

They have removed all compensation and the only thing you get is a paycheck. i guess that better than no paycheck

Advice to Management

Look at the overall compensation and how we recognize results. Currntly upper management has more control and ownership of how well the business performs but yet the employee has to take the hits when the business doesn't perform.

Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

1. Not a terrific place to work. However, can't complain too much because of recession / economy.

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Houston, TX

Pros

Pretty good work / life balance. I love the benefit of working from home as needed. Decent entry pay, but nothing to shout about.

Cons

Lack of good training. I don't think I've ever been formally trained on my current job responsibilities. A lot of work is simply done to look good, rather than provide true business value. Terrible pay increases. Many folks who have been at HP for years make less than new hires. Bonuses are not good.

Advice to Management

I think in general HP senior management is competent and understands the dynamics of the technology industry -- that its goods / services are becoming more and more commoditized and cost-cutting and off-shoring is imperative to staying in business. However, I feel like they could do better at showing that they truly value employees by doing things like: better pay increases for those who truly add business value, more vacation days, and better on-the-job training.

Morale has never been lower

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

The company performance is unquestionable, but at the cost alienating and angering the employees. As an investor, you can't argue with what Mark Hurd has done. He is the king of cost-cutting. As an employee, I don't know anyone who is happy with the current culture or environment at HP and most are looking for work elsewhere. The company that once was a great place to work is gone.

Cons

People are scared. The culture and work-life balance are at an all-time low. Mr. Hewlett and Mr. Packard would be ashamed to see what their family-oriented company has become.

Advice to Management

HP is not a place people enjoy anymore. Employees are proud of the company's past, and angry at what Mark Hurd has done to the culture.