There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Where is the innovation in "Invent"?

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Pros

I felt that I was well compensated. I enjoyed the sense of team. I thought that the caliber of employee was very high.

Cons

Too politcal. Middle level management was not willing to take risks. The culture does not support innovation. HP is slow to market with leading technology.

Advice to Management

Take chances. Create an entrepenuerial culture. Too many processes are required to get anything done with hamstrings innovation. Be less focused on the analytics and more focused on the market.

Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

The HP Way is DEAD

Current Employee - Program Manager in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Boise, ID

Pros

HP employees are great, they are the only reason this behometh is able to function at all

Cons

Employees are not valued at all anymore. The new HP is the anti-thesis of what Bill and Dave started. We continue to loose benefits and salary, while Mark Hurd makes millions ($122 million in 2009) The values that Dave and Bill started this great company with are dead. There is no respect or valuing of individual contributors

Advice to Management

Keep up the current management style and you'll ruin this company completely. For a company that once thrived on innovation, the current management team completely stifles any sense of creativity.

2. HP was not so bad, if you like to have your pay cut so management can make bonuses.

Former Employee - Technical Solutions Representative III in Hoover, AL
    Former Employee - Technical Solutions Representative III in Hoover, AL

Pros

Our staff supported each other contstantly. When one rep discovered a solutution to a common problem, it was shared throughout the team. Knowledge sharing occured at the highest level of any tech organziztion I have ever worked with. Best team environment I have ever worked in.

Cons

After the merger between Bellsouth and at&t, we could see changes was coming. It was one and a half years later, but management finally put something out in puplic so we would know this for certain; IBM was awarded the contract for continuing pc, server, and network suppot. EDS was being taken off the account. This started a many of the people looking for other work, and sometimes leaving when the right position came along. Work with less staff, made it all the more stressfull for those still working to keep the account running. IBM did not communicate with EDS/HP very professionally, withheld time lines, personnel change impacts. Our last day was Dec 31, 1999, but we did not have a seperation conference between EDS/HP, AT&T, and IBM until November.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to communicate with admin and tech staff reguarly the last 6 months of the transistion disclosing plans to close the account and the time and event for each milestone. Each day, our staff felt like slaves at oars in the bottom of the giant battle ship. We are told not be concerned with what is going on outside, just keep rowwing as hard as you can, damn it!