There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Good before the crash.

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Pontiac, MI
Former Employee - Business Analyst in Pontiac, MI

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Above average salary and decent benefits. Work was fun and you personally felt part of something important and relevant.

Cons

Was a good place to work before the downsizing began. Employee morale is now at a new low and additionally "work-at-homes" are being pulled back in the office... not too long after they were told to work from home. The company functions like a drifting ship with no rudder. Management does not know how to get back on track.

Advice to Management

Invest in people... GOOD people. The manager should actually make the effort to help employees succeed instead of just going through the motions just to achieve their goals and objectives. A well running team that feels supported by their manager will excel and do whatever they can to make the manager appear impressive to his management chain. A manger that is too self-absorbed to care about the team will not get much dedication from the team.

reviews filtered by
  1. Merged with EDS and the Benefits decreased.

Former Employee - Technology Consultant III in Fort Knox, KY
    Former Employee - Technology Consultant III in Fort Knox, KY

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Big stable company. Name recognition.

Cons

As a tech consultant after the merge with EDS my salary was reduced and my job title was diminished. I was forced to use vacation during the Christmas holidays or go without pay. I was told that HP thought EDS was too gracious with salary and title. The tech fellow program that I was in process of applying to was cancelled. The EDS executives who brokered the deal got very large settlements. From my experience the employees were treated poorly.

2. Great place to work to stay anonymous and at same level

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The work/life balance is good and the people are great. The infrastructure and tools available to employees from IT are top notch and there is a process.

Cons

As a established an large company there are few opportunities to advance. With the cost cutting of late, replacement positions when someone leaves are not guaranteed, in fact need upper management approval. There is no continuity plan for employees to be mentored for advancement and your career is your own responsibility. So if you want to sit back and enjoy life without career ambitions, HP is the place. Its easy to get lost in the crowd of >300k employees.

Advice to Management

Stop micro-managing the business units and let them decide how best to use their budget (head count, travel, etc). Stop giving lip service to individual careers and actually implement something that encourages advancement and service.

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard