Hewlett-Packard

www.hp.com
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Still a good company, but don't kid yourself into thinking indiviual employees are valued.

Former Employee - Engagement Manager in Downers Grove, IL
Former Employee - Engagement Manager in Downers Grove, IL

I worked at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

- At or above average base salary for role.
- Highly skilled and professional individual contributors and teams.
- Industry recognition

Cons

- Too many layers of management
- Middle management merely reacting to pressure from above, rather than overcoming obstacles of employees
- Too many "Ivory Tower" subject matter "experts" on deals that never visit a customer or interface with customers directly.
- Process overload, kills deals because the company is too slow to respond to customers.
- Financial overhead makes it difficult to compete on deals.

Reduce layers of management, and stop paying lip service to employee feedback. For example people managers should proactively help with career development, and move people around in the organization to facilitate career development.

9691 Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard (View Most Recent)

Not a terrific place to work. However, can't complain too much because of recession / economy.

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Pretty good work / life balance. I love the benefit of working from home as needed.

Decent entry pay, but nothing to shout about.

Cons

Lack of good training. I don't think I've ever been formally trained on my current job responsibilities.

A lot of work is simply done to look good, rather than provide true business value.

Terrible pay increases. Many folks who have been at HP for years make less than new hires. Bonuses are not good.

I think in general HP senior management is competent and understands the dynamics of the technology industry -- that its goods / services are becoming more and more commoditized and cost-cutting and off-shoring is imperative to staying in business.

However, I feel like they could do better at showing that they truly value employees by doing things like: better pay increases for those who truly add business value, more vacation days, and better on-the-job training.

Poor management, lots of turnover, but some divisions have great potential.

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Understand that HP doesn't truly value their employees. With 312,000, they are all just cogs in a machine. However, some divisions are run much better than others, depending on the product line, or area, or direct manager you may have. HP products are easy to sell, for the most part, and the brand is unbeatable. There are some good people in some divisions and the company has great resources for employees to utilize.

Cons

High internal turnover, poor management in many divisions, HP actually pays less than standard salaries/benefits, on purpose, as they don't need to pay "at the top range" due to the many people that want to work at HP. Quota rating system that only allows managers to give highest rating to a small percentage of a group's employees. There is a disconnect between many groups that should be working together as well, instead they are silo-type operations that don't operate well together.

Get rid of the quota system for employee review, and forcing managers to "ration" their highest rating each year for only a few employees, out of a group. This is done to hold back raises, etc., and supposedly for motivation, but when a group has multiple high performers, who get great review, but are told, sorry I would give you the highest rating, but I have to give it to someone who's not moving to a new department, it's not very motivating.

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard