There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Changing culture

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Stable company, great to work within a business unit. Flexible work environment. Availability of knowledge banks. The new CEO Meg Whitman is trying to really turning the ship around in the right direction.

Cons

Working across business units / divisions is cumbersome. Approval levels slow down progress in any matter. Very risk averse culture - even reasonable risk. Pay is mediocre at best.

Need to be agile and willing to take calculated risks to compete in the market space.

reviews filtered by
  1. Major sales issues at HP and customers feel the pain

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent products, engineering and support.

Cons

HP has not figured out the sales execution or sales coverage model. The customers are extremely tired of the revolving door of sales people. HP has not figured out a sales execution model that includes coverage, management and compensation providing the incentive for a HP rep to stay with one customer. Talk to the enterprise customers. They will tell you.

Four years of working here and had four different managers. Last year's manager was the worse experience I have had in over 20 years in the industry. I reported to him (he is located in FL) for 12 mos. I did not meet him face to face until the 9th month. In the 12 mos we spent a total of 6 hrs face to face. I was handed a quota for a territory that had not been covered for over 8 mos. This quota was based on the previous three years run rate. It included a very large outlier sale that would not be repeated. I presented my sales plan on how the target was unattainable and where I would be focusing my business. Without the outlier I increased the business with very dissatisfied customers who had moved off HP's platforms. I was regularly called late at night by this manager who obviously had been drinking and would verbally abuse and attack me for not hitting the number. I thought I was the exception to this treatment until I talked to other reps who endured the same treatment. Some left the company within mos of joining. Then I talked to customers who also got the same calls. My income was hit so hard in this role I had my smallest annual income since 1999 and no one cared to listen. I had no recourse within the company.

There is no where for an employee to go and discuss this issue when the upper management protects this behavior from a frontline manager. The control of costs with the quota assignments is causing HP sales people to leave and this is the one number issue HP has with its customers is the constant turnover of sales people and their never can be a cadence of the business with the customer's IT org. Unless things change I will be the next rep to leave large customers without a HP face.

How not to return HP to its former glory

Current Employee - Engineering Project Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Project Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

HP's main saving grace, as an employer, is the quality of the folks with which one gets to work. Generally, they are driven to do that which is necessary to get the job done and are pleasant in the process.

Cons

* The continuous lack of/over generalized direction from management can sometimes be a challenge.
    * HP has spent the last 10+ years creating virtual teams that work in multiple time zones. This has necessitated late and/or early working hours. HP employees have taken this in stride, as there was opportunity to work from home. This allowed for a reasonable work/life balance (to which much lip-service HP pays). Now employees are being asked to return to working at the office, even though many of those employees do not work with anyone locally and the commute to the office is a very significant journey (hours, not minutes). This return-to-the-office policy is being applied in a general manner without regard to team interactions/necessity or employee impact. Instead of helping HP return to its former glory, as is intended, it is a counterproductive policy which is making work difficult and causing HP to lose good people.

* Quit generalizing. Provide direction that is relevant to lower level organizations.
    * Meg, your return-to-the-office policy is counterproductive. You are harming employee morale, losing good people and creating a very difficult work environment.

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard