Hewlett-Packard

www.hp.com
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Good people but the success is coming from cost cutting rather than innovation (AFAICT)

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard part-time

Pros

I enjoyed working at HP Software. The engineers are good and friendly - mostly ego free - no nastiness (although because of forced rank system some nastiness may occur in Nov-Dec then things cool off again after the two week shutdown in Dec.). The salaries are good (for higher ranked engineers at least). Last few years there has been good bonuses (again for top ranked people).

I think HP Software could be a great place to work if their cloud initiatives ever show profit.

The Moffett tower buildings are great (the mathilda/237 intersection is a pain though).

You can and will get promoted if you hang in there. However ask yourself if your skills are really increasing or if the promotion is just an employee retention strategy.

Cons

Lots of attrition and difficult to hire people.

It seemed to me the most successful things HP does is cost cutting. They are trying to grow the software/services business (public/private cloud for example). However, I don't think these have really taken off yet.

Lots of attrition and difficult to hire people.

Your happiness at HP will depend on your ranking - best projects, hikes, bonuses go to top ranked people (naturally) - this is a forced rank system.

Lots of attrition and difficult to hire people.

Meg is currently in year 2 of her 4 year turn around plan (although I could have sworn this was originally supposed to be a two year plan - not sure what happened). She promises not to cost cut to success like former CEO has done, but yet there is cost cutting and that seems to be the most successful thing they do.

Basically be successful - easier said than done. I think the only missing ingredient is success.

Oh - maybe get rid of the forced ranking.

9708 Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard (View Most Recent)

Manufacturing Company vs. Software Company

Current Employee - Test Analyst in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Test Analyst in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I like the fact there are people that have worked at HP for entire career. HP is not just one company it is a bunch of companies stretched out all over the world. You don't know how big HP really is until you work there.
    HP's perks really depends on the physical location that you work and how high up you are on the management chain. If you show initiative you can advance your self.

Cons

Needs more college young blood, Communication barriers, more social events with co-workers. company is really to big to meet everyone organically.

Get more engineering managers and less managers with MBA's. In very much need of a true technology visionary or bring back the environment Bill and Dave created that allowed engineering to make more high level decisions and creative freedom

usually an ethical company

Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

A good company to work for

Cons

Not a fast moving environment

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard