Outsourcing and cost cutting

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay and benefits package is competitive. In some roles there is a good work life balance if you have counterparts in other regions who can assume responsibility outside of your regions working hours. There are programs to develop employees though they are being cut back.

Cons

Business decisions don't reflect the publicized company values. Big cost cutting efforts and outsourcing at the expense of the customer experience makes working in support difficult and stressful. Multi-year work force reduction program ongoing.

Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Good if you are lucky enough to have perks, but these are few and far between... culture needs major makeover

Former Employee - Worldwide PR Manager in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Worldwide PR Manager in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hands down the people, at least on my team and the teams I worked with. Incredibly smart, sweet, gifted people at what they did. With some exceptions (notably my last manager), everyone seemed to genuinely care about one another. Also, the scale of the company means that budgets are a little bigger than at smaller companies, which gives more room for creative campaigns-- if they make it through approvals. I had a pretty unique experience and got to travel a lot and interact with all different executive levels (all the way up to Meg), so those were high points; I am pretty sure this is not typical.

Cons

Too much bureaucracy in too many areas; sheer scale of the company makes it difficult to get things through approvals. Company culture was severely lacking in ways to keep employees motivated and happy-- I was never made to feel valued or cared about by the company itself, just by my boss and my team. Prevalence of cynicism about the company's direction and products made it hard to care deeply about anything. Executive management seemed out of touch at times with the reality of what we were working on. Lack of transportation from San Francisco to the South Bay makes it seem out of touch with the reality of Silicon Valley these days-- talent lives in the city and no one wants to commute 100 miles a day (which I did for 4 years).

Advice to Management

Get it together on employee culture and spend the money it takes to provide basics like decent coffee and free soda. It is the little things (that are totally normal at EVERY other tech company in the Valley) that make it just a little bit nicer to go into work. Feeling underappreciated all the time is a guaranteed catalyst to killing retention rates-- no one wants to stay where they do not feel like they matter. And, transparency is key-- open communication about where the company is going is crucial to keep employees feeling like they are actually a part of something. Taking it back to Bill and Dave days (at least from what I heard from older colleagues) should be a huge goal.

Improving but still bureaucratic and shedding long-term employees quickly

Current Employee - Technical Analyst in Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Analyst in Roseville, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

smart engaged co workers and teams; new technology; training available; decent salaries

Cons

long hours getting longer since they keep cutting headcount; expectations to just work and work is burning people out

Advice to Management

Remember the more people you cut the more workload is put on the remaining employees - many of whom are getting burnt out and not feeling appreciated and looking to leave. A lot of experience and talent is flowing out the doors in the past few months.