Hewlett-Packard

www.hp.com
  www.hp.com
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Great people to work with

Former Employee - IT Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
Former Employee - IT Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I enjoyed my time at HP due to the people I worked with, very positive and helpful. No one will leave you hanging.

Cons

Management constantly sends mixed messages. "Our people are very important... sorry we are laying you off." "We are hitting our numbers and on the right track... due to budget cuts we won't pay for equipment that you need at home to do your job." And so on.

The business climate is tough, everyone understand that, but when we aren't firing on all cylinders don't take it out on those doing what they are told to do. Look at your management that is making these decisions.

9491 Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard (View Most Recent)

All the pros and cons typical of a large business

Current Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Reasonably generous healthcare and benefits
    - Opportunities for lateral growth
    - Genuinely working to improve
    - Most people are supportive, willing to pitch in and accomplish goals

Cons

Most of these are typical of a large company and so not necessarily cons so much as just something to expect. You're looking at HP, after all, not a lean little startup.

- Things take time: bureaucracy, processes, platforms, and resources can slow down the pace of development. It helps maintain consistency, legality, and quality of content, but it does mean you shouldn't expect new collateral to have a half day turnaround, for example.
    - As with any company comprised of thousands of offerings both acquired and home grown, there are myriad ways of going about the same thing between teams. Even figuring out which teams to involve in projects or requests can be a challenge.
    - Frequent organizational restructuring: during my time at HP, drastic reorgs have taken place as often as once a year. These majorly impacted head count, daily processes and project responsibilities. Fairly typical of a large company that's continually trying to find that magical organizational outline, but still challenging. Expect to constantly reestablish and streamline efficient ways to get stuff done with new teams and people.

IT Developer/ Engineer IV

Current Employee - IT Developer/Engineer IV in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - IT Developer/Engineer IV in Austin, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Location easily accessible
    Work manageable
    Friendly atmosphere

Cons

Lots of Change,
    Change in management, culture, which is good but at times can get adversely affected.

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard