Hewlett-Packard

www.hp.com
  www.hp.com
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

All the pros and cons typical of a large business

Current Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager
Current Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Reasonably generous healthcare and benefits
- Opportunities for lateral growth
- Genuinely working to improve
- Most people are supportive, willing to pitch in and accomplish goals

Cons

Most of these are typical of a large company and so not necessarily cons so much as just something to expect. You're looking at HP, after all, not a lean little startup.

- Things take time: bureaucracy, processes, platforms, and resources can slow down the pace of development. It helps maintain consistency, legality, and quality of content, but it does mean you shouldn't expect new collateral to have a half day turnaround, for example.
- As with any company comprised of thousands of offerings both acquired and home grown, there are myriad ways of going about the same thing between teams. Even figuring out which teams to involve in projects or requests can be a challenge.
- Frequent organizational restructuring: during my time at HP, drastic reorgs have taken place as often as once a year. These majorly impacted head count, daily processes and project responsibilities. Fairly typical of a large company that's continually trying to find that magical organizational outline, but still challenging. Expect to constantly reestablish and streamline efficient ways to get stuff done with new teams and people.

9334 Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard (View Most Recent)

Project/Program Manager

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very diverse in opportunities that are available. Clients are always demanding and HP steps up to the task of meeting and exceeding their expectations. Most individuals are very hard working and do a great job.

Cons

Very large and can be bureaucratic. Too many manager in the chain of command that are disconnected with the work. Individuals can get lost in the shuffle between opportunities if not well networked because span of control at the lowest levels of management can be very high.

Trust and empower your mid level leaders to do the right thing and make the right decisions. Stop second guessing their judgments and opinions. This process causes too much rework and expense.

Great people to work with

Former Employee - IT Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - IT Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I enjoyed my time at HP due to the people I worked with, very positive and helpful. No one will leave you hanging.

Cons

Management constantly sends mixed messages. "Our people are very important... sorry we are laying you off." "We are hitting our numbers and on the right track... due to budget cuts we won't pay for equipment that you need at home to do your job." And so on.

The business climate is tough, everyone understand that, but when we aren't firing on all cylinders don't take it out on those doing what they are told to do. Look at your management that is making these decisions.

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard