Hewlett-Packard

www.hp.com
  www.hp.com
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Experience is top notch; Pay isn't competitive

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Pontiac, MI
Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Pontiac, MI

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Great work experience: this was my first job out of college
-Job flexibility: even though work from home has been scaled back

Cons

-Pay

Really, the only aspect of HP that drove me nuts was the compensation. I accepted an offer 20% under market value for my position (I needed a job out of college...). In 3 years time, I only received one raise to the equivalent of $1,000 with a couple bonuses mixed in here and there. Most others on the team didn't receive any raises during that time. I recently accepted another job that bumped me up 62% in pay.....to help me reach my market value. That is how poorly HP was paying me...

Also, due to the recent workforce reductions, HR fights to the death any kind of promotion and/or raise attempts by managers.

Start paying people what every....other....company.....pays.

9091 Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard (View Most Recent)

Excellent place to work

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time

Pros

Focus on customer, people, and great products. The HP Way is still alive!

Cons

Bureaucratic at times and less nimble to make decisions. Getting better, however, with new top leadership.

Block and tackle bureaucracy.

All Across the Board!

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

In a company of 300,000 - there are a lot of roles... so there is very little limitation in what you could do! There are a lot of opportunities for growth in a number of areas. The people, by and large - are excellent and a joy to work with.

Cons

There is no work/life balance. A significant number of teams are offshore - so you feel your job is spending all of your time on the telephone all over the world. Visiting these locations is a great opportunity. Working around the clock on a consistent basis will burn out a team. There is no consist business/technology commitment. Many projects get cancelled after spending millions of dollars... figure out whether they should be done first - then have the courage to stay the course. Senior (long-term) employees do not feel valued... many times it takes 3 people to do the same job as 1 experienced person... yet the preference is to keep the 3 new college hires. Every company needs new blood - HP especially so, but they do seem to discard valuable members of the team (especially if they don't necessarily want to be on the promotion path) without much thought.

Treat all employees fairly and respect the opinions of the experienced employees. You don't have to agree with them.. but should be fair and respectful. In too many places, the open door policy developed by Bill & Dave does not exist. There is retaliation for using it.

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard