Hewlett-Packard

HP-USA is a Caustic Sweatshop

Current Employee - Senior Hardware Engineer in Corvallis, OR
Current Employee - Senior Hardware Engineer in Corvallis, OR

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

I get paid. I do get to work with some of the old school HP employees who are really smart, great people. I have a descent boss, but she's being bullied from upper management.

Cons

Wow - where do I begin....there are so many reasons why one doesn't want to work for HP.....

1. Compensation: I am making less now than I was 10 years ago. I am not interested in management, hence there are virtually no opportunities for promotion. Mark Hurd and Marcella have guaranteed that they are taking away benefits, pay, etc. from the employees at every opportunity.
2. Management: Managements attitude is "It's a job - if you don't like it - leave!" Management is by intimidation and fear. The only people who are doing well are the ones who kiss up to their manager. The real technical contributors are basically being told to go away. I guess that this is the way of the company now -- no organic growth; buy companies and destroy the employee morale, fire the employees, etc.
3. Senior leadership: I don't think that Mark Hurd is immoral - rather he is amoral. The man only wants to make money for himself. He really doesn't care if HP succeeds in the long term - he wants to get his riches and then leave. Almost everyone I know *hates* Mark Hurd and the executive management. They are taking as much as possible from the employees, firing thousands, and filling their pockets with blood money. It's really sick....
4. Job Security: HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH - there is absolutely no job security! Part of this is because the managers are suits help up with BS and couldn't manage a hot dog stand - no less a technical program. Because there are so many program failures, the engineers are fired. The Corvallis site has gone from 10K employees to slightly over 1K. This is because of management failure - but the losers are still raking in the big bucks....makes you wonder what they are doing to keep their jobs.... hmmm....
5. Promotional Opportunities: HAHAHAHHAHAHHA - there are none. Promotional opportunities are advertised, but they are for the hand picked political appointments. The leadership in the company is nothing but a bunch of incestuous, beurocratic losers. The leadership believes that engineering is by making red/green/yellow boxes in excel.....it's bad
6. Future: I guarantee that HP will fall like a house of cards. The good people are leaving, and I guarantee that they will leave in mass once the jobs come back to America. Mark Hurd and his band of thieves (exec management) are doing more to kill America than any terrorist organization and their actions are almost treason.
7. Employment: I tell everyone I know - "DON'T Come to HP to work unless you're starving - it is a total caustic sweatshop." HP is a terrible place to work and I'm doing everything I can do to get out of the place...

There is nothing I can say to them. We have totally different values - I think that the exec management is from another planet. They will be extremely rich when the company fails and then the stock holders and the remaining employees will be left holding the bag when Mark Hurd and his band of thieves make off with their blood money.

9928 Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard (View Most Recent)

Beyond belief!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Fantastic people. HP has hired some of the most talented, hard-working people I've ever had the pleasure to work with. HP is a well-respected name in the technology industry.

Cons

HP has become a 'bottom-line for the shareholders' company. Company meetings constantly urging employees to sacrifice their personal lives for a more 'get the job done' attitude (which is rarely recognized or compensated). Overbearing processes and inadequate tools undermine the efforts of the sharpest employees.

Work should be meaningful and a welcome commitment -- not dominate beyond what's healthy and appropriate. It's unbelievable that this corporate mentality can occur in the 21st century.

No longer the same company - worse than most others in industry - is the mgmt listening ?

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

multiple geographies ; remote work options ; multiple work areas /departments

Cons

really as per the other reviews ...just chek them...times have changed ...but does not mean culture and environment should deteriorate so much....internal IT had turned into a sweat shop. No work life balance as it is given only lip service - very hypocritical.. No respect for employees. No different from any other political vindictive work environment. Everyone is just covering their behind, no team work. Trust and respect is severely lacking.

check the amount of politics in the org levels; buddies get promoted and recruited ; try to get a long term vision and enhance a culture within the company built on trust and respect ( that is lacking)

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard