There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

HP-USA is a Caustic Sweatshop

Current Employee - Senior Hardware Engineer in Corvallis, OR
Current Employee - Senior Hardware Engineer in Corvallis, OR

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

I get paid. I do get to work with some of the old school HP employees who are really smart, great people. I have a descent boss, but she's being bullied from upper management.

Cons

Wow - where do I begin....there are so many reasons why one doesn't want to work for HP.....

1. Compensation: I am making less now than I was 10 years ago. I am not interested in management, hence there are virtually no opportunities for promotion. Mark Hurd and Marcella have guaranteed that they are taking away benefits, pay, etc. from the employees at every opportunity.
2. Management: Managements attitude is "It's a job - if you don't like it - leave!" Management is by intimidation and fear. The only people who are doing well are the ones who kiss up to their manager. The real technical contributors are basically being told to go away. I guess that this is the way of the company now -- no organic growth; buy companies and destroy the employee morale, fire the employees, etc.
3. Senior leadership: I don't think that Mark Hurd is immoral - rather he is amoral. The man only wants to make money for himself. He really doesn't care if HP succeeds in the long term - he wants to get his riches and then leave. Almost everyone I know *hates* Mark Hurd and the executive management. They are taking as much as possible from the employees, firing thousands, and filling their pockets with blood money. It's really sick....
4. Job Security: HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH - there is absolutely no job security! Part of this is because the managers are suits help up with BS and couldn't manage a hot dog stand - no less a technical program. Because there are so many program failures, the engineers are fired. The Corvallis site has gone from 10K employees to slightly over 1K. This is because of management failure - but the losers are still raking in the big bucks....makes you wonder what they are doing to keep their jobs.... hmmm....
5. Promotional Opportunities: HAHAHAHHAHAHHA - there are none. Promotional opportunities are advertised, but they are for the hand picked political appointments. The leadership in the company is nothing but a bunch of incestuous, beurocratic losers. The leadership believes that engineering is by making red/green/yellow boxes in excel.....it's bad
6. Future: I guarantee that HP will fall like a house of cards. The good people are leaving, and I guarantee that they will leave in mass once the jobs come back to America. Mark Hurd and his band of thieves (exec management) are doing more to kill America than any terrorist organization and their actions are almost treason.
7. Employment: I tell everyone I know - "DON'T Come to HP to work unless you're starving - it is a total caustic sweatshop." HP is a terrible place to work and I'm doing everything I can do to get out of the place...

Advice to Management

There is nothing I can say to them. We have totally different values - I think that the exec management is from another planet. They will be extremely rich when the company fails and then the stock holders and the remaining employees will be left holding the bag when Mark Hurd and his band of thieves make off with their blood money.

reviews filtered by
  1. HP "nice place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Culture is still what made the co great

Cons

Leadership is $$$$ focused and needs to be more globally focused

Advice to Management

It's about the money, but it's about other things, too

Forced Rankings; High Productive Work Force Environment

Current Employee - Technology Solutions Group in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Technology Solutions Group in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

- Was a company that allowed career development years ago
    - Used to reward employees for jobs well done, processes improved, for the dollars saved and customers gained
    - Used to encourage innovation plus quality products
    - Used to be fun and exciting to go to work!!

Cons

- Layoffs are now perpetual; never know if you'll have a job when you come home. Very stressfull.
    - Layoffs done in low numbers and drawn out so as not to receive media attention.
    - Groups told to expedite the transfer of knowledge and expertise to entry level personnel.
    - Older tenured employees are not treated with equal dignity & respect vs younger employees
    - Age Discrimination with a mask on to avoid legal issues
    - Younger employees recognize the disconnect and most leave the company after 2 yrs; will not invest the time needed in daily functions.
    - Work place Slogans and marketing efforts presented to universities and the public are not truly common in the work place. A running joke is that we want to work for "That HP!"
    - US employees are not valued.
    - The recent 5% pay cut eliminated the past 10 years of raises...in fact, I'm in negative territory vs 10 years ago.

Advice to Management

- Mid and Senior managers - Align your metrics and strategies. Too many conflicting management initiatives & layers. Who is in charge?
    - Become true leaders and team players.
    - Loose the management by intimidation mantra. It's not working.
    - Value your employees...of all nations.
    - Eliminate Forced Rankings so needed information will flow and true teamwork will resurface.
    - Be a true market leader; resurrect innovation and make quality important again.
    - Make our competitors chase us!
    - Understand and simplifiy your supply chain.
    - Say good morning and smile once in a while! Doesn't cost a cent.
    - You make your bonuses, give us a work/life balance.

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard