There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

big ideas bogged down by bureaucracy

Former Intern - Cloud Services Automation in Roseville, CA
Former Intern - Cloud Services Automation in Roseville, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Laid back working atmosphere, nice on site facilities for employees, competitive salary

Cons

several meetings that felt unproductive, not much direction given by management

Advice to Management

define clearer goals for IT/software development

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Company has too many managerial layers to be effective. Difficult to react to market place pressures.

Former Employee - Business Strategy Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Business Strategy Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

1) Senior mgrs. trying to right the ship

Cons

1) Forced Rankings - no teamwork mentality 2) Middle mgrs. focused on current qtr; no long term planning 3) minimal to no raises 4) no work/life balance. On duty 24/7 due to high work loads exacerbated by constant layoffs. People disappear but work/duties do not.

Advice to Management

Bonus drivers driving wrong managerial behavior; crisis management normal course of business. Eliminate forced rankings so teamwork will resurface. Right now it's everyone for themselves. Regain industry leadership versus being a follower Reinstate a robust R&D segment

2. Software Testing Intern

Former Intern - Software Testing Intern in Lansing, MI
    Former Intern - Software Testing Intern in Lansing, MI

I worked at Hewlett-Packard as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Working at HP was a rewarding time that saw my professional skills improve greatly, but the career growth was not there. The project management team that I had while employed showed favoritism and did not show any interest in helping me gain the skills that would allow me to transition into a full-time position. At times it felt like there were certain interns that were given the benefit of the doubt when something was done incorrectly and others were treated as if they were on the verge of being fired if something was done incorrectly. Although there was no help from the project managers in my growth I did gain the confidence from one of the testing leads and she was someone that saw my dedication to the job and slowly gave me added responsibilities. I did have the ability to work flexible hours which was nice.

Cons

No commitment to professional development from PM team. Could be a hostile environment at times. No commitment to take time to understand how employees learn and utilize the skills and ability that they have.

Advice to Management

The advice that I would give management is that they need to make it more of a priority to help develop the leaders of tomorrow. Without the ability to be a mentor to the leaders of tomorrow you are doing a dis service to both the company and the leaders of tomorrow.