Hewlett-Packard

review

Current Employee - Manager
Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

good benefits, flexibility for working from home, fairly informal atmosphere wrt being able to speak openly with various level of management.

Cons

keep taking away benefits, salary increases frozen or limited to very few, laying off people with experience bc they cost the most even when they are within a couple years or less of retirement. making decision that affect how you can do you job and still expect more and more, working evenings and weekends almost a requirment.

take into account impact to front line when making the bottom line decisions. don't just focus on making your bonus while ignoring 80% of the workforce that is still running the company even if they are not all top performers

9091 Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard (View Most Recent)

Good company for management career.

Current Employee - Account Service Manager in Cernusco sul Naviglio (Italy)
    Current Employee - Account Service Manager in Cernusco sul Naviglio (Italy)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Very dynamic company with an eye on personal relationships. Performance driven and business oriented: great place to have it on your curricula.

Cons

When there are problems the first cut are for technical consultants: no trainings, no benefits, no bonuses, while the high management take metirs for making margins.
    Not a good place for good salaries: technical skills are not considered a quality.

Leadership management should learn more about company products and services rather than company business. Cost cutting is not the right way to take the bonus at the end of the year.

HP - just an average company to work for with great business results

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Management is very focused on being #1 in the business. The culture has changed to a performance-based value system where every accomplishment is measured and compared to peers in order to compete. If you're a star performer recognized by management, you will be a part of the talent management program with a mentor and opportunities to take on roles/projects with lots of executive visibility.

Cons

It's all about cost cutting in the business and finding justifications to NOT give raises, salary increases. HR has done a great job of changing the culture by taking the HP values and making everyone feel like a number. We are no longer viewed as people. Instead we are looked as HC (headcount).

Performance bonuses start with a pool and is stripped out by exec's at the top, then sr vp's, vp's, etc. By the time it gets to the IC's, there are only scraps left to fight for. Oh - I forgot to mention, director level and above receive multipliers (often standard in the industry) however a multiplier of less than 1 doesn't exist. The best thing to do here is to work on your marketing skills so that you're visible in every project even if you're not adding value. Getting things done, e.g. operations is no longer valued

Have some integrity and stand up to HR and the exec's that HP is no longer the place where everyone flocks to. Most people love their job but no longer love the company. We used to show up on the Fortune 25 list of most desireable company to work for. I don't think we've been in the Top 500 since Carly started.

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard