Hewlett-Packard

HP Financial Analyst

Former Employee - Financial Analyst
Former Employee - Financial Analyst

I worked at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Great benefits. Salary was sufficient for work load

Cons

Job outsourcing-Too many mid level management postions-too many long term contract workers-

Incorporate more of the business practices that made HP a great place to work many years. Take it back the to the "Rules of the Garage"-the way Dave and Bill meant for it to be run!

8737 Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard (View Most Recent)

Moving jobs to India

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

HP was a really good place to work for many years. Expanding company, expanding business lines, all with good opportunities for advancement and learning. There are still a few promising areas, if you have the right skills and are willing to move wherever they want you to go on your own dime. Benefits are a little better than average for a company the size of HP. And because HP is everywhere, it's a recognized brand name.

But there's no consideration for long-term careers anymore.

Cons

Mark Hurd stood up and told the world he would lay off 25,000 people in the US and then hire 12,500 new people in India. So what he really meant was moving thousands of jobs offshore, regardless of whether or not there were qualified people in the US already on the payroll.

So there is absolutely no job security here, as soon as they can find a replacement for you in India or the Philippines, they will get rid of you. In the consulting business, we "low level" people actually shy away from customers who don't want local resources working on their projects, because we know that their business will end up costing us our jobs.

In the end, companies like HP are ending up being giant brokers, who don't manufacture their own products or provide their own services, but just put their label on and take their cut. If you are good at that kind of business, then you have a future at HP. But if you are a person who likes to design things, build things, or solve problems, then you don't have much of a future, unless you live in India and work for $13 a day.

Think farther than the next fiscal quarter. And now every management memo that I get cutting some benefit says "to align with industry medians, we are eliminating xyz benefit". This race to mediocrity will produce a mediocre workforce in the end. HP used to set the standard, not follow somebody else's.

Endurance race!

Current Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Guadalajara, Jalisco (Mexico)
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Guadalajara, Jalisco (Mexico)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Great work-life balance if you're not the front of a business. HP is a brand that will really impress in my CV. When you're lucky enough to find a manager with the HP WAY, it really shows you how 2 guys in a garage were able to build an emporium.

Cons

- Outsourcing jobs is a way of life
    - Let me describe Hurd's management style: You pressure as much as you can, till the employee/division gets tired and finally retaliates; it is at this time that he knows they're at their optimal level and goes to find its next pray. ALELUYA for Business Optimization!
    - Declining R&D. Have you seen when they talk about R&D they actually discuss a fixed amount instead of a certain % of total revenue like top innovators actually do?.
    - Focus on 2 things: Hiring Sellers and Execs. What does this mean? It's an army with 10 high ranking officers but only 2-3 tired soldiers who actually do the fight.
    - HR is a joke! No salary increases (at least in high-cost countries), forced curves in performance reviews leaving only a few people with the highest rank (what if there's a magic team that has 10 geniouses among their ranks? It doesn't matter, the "less" smart guy gets the lowest level.... It's that way!!)
    - I have never seen so many OverHead in a company like in HP

Remember what makes great companies, innovation!!! Look at Apple, they may not excel in every department but at least they're trying and winning; I can't wait to see the day when they decide to start selling Servers... HP/IBM/DELL shares will immediately drop by 20%, why? Because they're able to turn into Gold everything they touch due to the way they run their business.

I can bet that Apple at some time took ideas from HP Way magament style, and look at them!! Imagine what HP would be if they return to their former self with the muscle they've gained over these years.

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!