There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

good place to work overall

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

- good small-team work - managers are open to suggestions on improving process

Cons

- bureaucracy and slow progress in changing processes

Advice to Management

none

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. HP used to be a great company. Now it is a big company.

Current Employee - Program Manager
    Current Employee - Program Manager

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Lots of opportunities to learn new things, new methods, new people. Many ways are open to develop yourself - but you also have to do it! Most people are really good to work with. I LOVE to work with my colleagues - well, almost always. Furtunately I have been blessed with quite flexible work conditions, and that freedom is good. With freedom comes responsibility - deliver quality service at the right time and place. We have been brought up with a passion for owning the customer's problems and deliver the best service you can get. I am carefully optimistic - we have the capacity - both intellectually and sheer muscle - to excel.

Cons

Note: The downside is not limited to HP Technology Solutions Group, the root cause is outside TSG - a reflection of 20+ years with HP. Saving the pennies and wasting the pounds is all over the place. Senior management treats their employees as irresponsible children. "No - you can't have that. No - dont move my cheese" . A core value for HP is (was) to view the employees as their most valuable asset. Consequently, professionals were assisted so they could focus their energy on creating value - delivering the service to the customers. Gradually - more and more self-service is the case - irrespective of the ROI. The average HP employee resembles a fishing boat covered with thousands of thin-layered ice, so it can hardly move anymore. Savings in one place that can be measured, and ignoring the long tail of reduced productivity. Management by fear has become omnipresent. Doing IT 'by the book' - using archaic waterfall mindset and considering any IT change as a massive effort has put brakes on the innovative mindset. "Can't do - not allowed - impossible" are the most used words.

Advice to Management

Get common sense back in the driving seat. Mark and Randy with cohortes to leave the company. Move senior executive's attention away from the stock market and focus on creating real value. Refrain from using stock incentives AT ALL - it drives a wrong behavior. (Imagine if you would bet your compensation on the "America's Idol" voting mechanism - that is pretty close to what happens on the stock market. ) Instead, focus on what matters - create value for customers - which will happen if you release the chains that hold us back. Trust your employees, and you will see magic happen.

The unemployment machine...

I worked at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

None, other than being able to say you are still employed and getting some kind of paycheck in today's job market.

Cons

Daily stress of wondering when your number is up, and everyone's number will be up sooner or later. No job security at all! U.S. employees are just a commodity to be replaced at a 1 to 3 ratio with off-shore.

Advice to Management

They need to recognize the employees first before being able to take advise from them. They're too busy looking at stock prices for selling their options.