Hewlett-Packard

www.hp.com
  www.hp.com
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Good place to work if you like salaried work without bonuses

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

-Brand Recognition
-Working as the Vendor builds customer confidence
-Market presence in every market it competes in
-Access to R&D helps to fast track issue resolution for strategic clients

Cons

-Compensation
-Compensation
-Compensation
-Current Lack of bonuses and initiative-based compensation
-The lack of initiative-based compensation renders utilization almost a useless number. I feel like I keep working, but don't get rewarded for it.

Is it management's problem or not if they keep creating numbers that can't be met? And then punish people for not meeting them by taking away benefits and bonuses? There seems to not be a reason to work hard any more -- just a reason to do enough not to get fired.

8747 Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard (View Most Recent)

Moving jobs to India

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

HP was a really good place to work for many years. Expanding company, expanding business lines, all with good opportunities for advancement and learning. There are still a few promising areas, if you have the right skills and are willing to move wherever they want you to go on your own dime. Benefits are a little better than average for a company the size of HP. And because HP is everywhere, it's a recognized brand name.

But there's no consideration for long-term careers anymore.

Cons

Mark Hurd stood up and told the world he would lay off 25,000 people in the US and then hire 12,500 new people in India. So what he really meant was moving thousands of jobs offshore, regardless of whether or not there were qualified people in the US already on the payroll.

So there is absolutely no job security here, as soon as they can find a replacement for you in India or the Philippines, they will get rid of you. In the consulting business, we "low level" people actually shy away from customers who don't want local resources working on their projects, because we know that their business will end up costing us our jobs.

In the end, companies like HP are ending up being giant brokers, who don't manufacture their own products or provide their own services, but just put their label on and take their cut. If you are good at that kind of business, then you have a future at HP. But if you are a person who likes to design things, build things, or solve problems, then you don't have much of a future, unless you live in India and work for $13 a day.

Think farther than the next fiscal quarter. And now every management memo that I get cutting some benefit says "to align with industry medians, we are eliminating xyz benefit". This race to mediocrity will produce a mediocre workforce in the end. HP used to set the standard, not follow somebody else's.

Management is still king, not so much for the workforce.

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Local management good and tries hard to do treat people as more than a revenue generator. As an acquired EDS employee, HP has potential for growth if you can be recognized.

Cons

No raises, increased health insurance shared portion, career advancement difficult for average employee. Value of the individual seems to be fading, replaced by a push for corporate profits, reduced headcounts, and quick results. EDS and HP proud cultures are gone, replaced by politics and survival tactics. Top management talks much about ethics while cutting employee wages and realizing huge bonuses. No longer a good place to work and hear the implied message, "we are lucky to have a job here". Focus on moving as many jobs out of the U.S. as is possible and as quickly as can be implemented. Other country wages are less and this contributes to bottom line. No loyalty for those who have worked years, many extra hours, bled for the company, only quick term profits and race to be number one. Focus on new sales overriding ability to meet new challenges. Get business, promise solutions, figure it all out later without the human resources needed to complete the task. Overwork the remaining legions, replace the bodies as they fall.

Take stock of intellectual talent onshore. Restructure pay at the top and share the wealth to all the corporation, not just the top 10% who can direct the compensation into their own pockets.. Leadership includes taking care of the employee as well as the customer and stockholder. They are not mutually exclusive. Remember both HP, Compac, 3Com, EDS, and all the other absorbed companies. Just as the U.S. is a melting pot of citizens, so is HP, reaping the benefits of a diverse and formally motivated workforce.

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!