There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Good company for management career.

Current Employee - Account Service Manager in Cernusco sul Naviglio (Italy)
Current Employee - Account Service Manager in Cernusco sul Naviglio (Italy)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Very dynamic company with an eye on personal relationships. Performance driven and business oriented: great place to have it on your curricula.

Cons

When there are problems the first cut are for technical consultants: no trainings, no benefits, no bonuses, while the high management take metirs for making margins.
Not a good place for good salaries: technical skills are not considered a quality.

Advice to Management

Leadership management should learn more about company products and services rather than company business. Cost cutting is not the right way to take the bonus at the end of the year.

reviews filtered by
  1. HP - just an average company to work for with great business results

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Management is very focused on being #1 in the business. The culture has changed to a performance-based value system where every accomplishment is measured and compared to peers in order to compete. If you're a star performer recognized by management, you will be a part of the talent management program with a mentor and opportunities to take on roles/projects with lots of executive visibility.

Cons

It's all about cost cutting in the business and finding justifications to NOT give raises, salary increases. HR has done a great job of changing the culture by taking the HP values and making everyone feel like a number. We are no longer viewed as people. Instead we are looked as HC (headcount).

Performance bonuses start with a pool and is stripped out by exec's at the top, then sr vp's, vp's, etc. By the time it gets to the IC's, there are only scraps left to fight for. Oh - I forgot to mention, director level and above receive multipliers (often standard in the industry) however a multiplier of less than 1 doesn't exist. The best thing to do here is to work on your marketing skills so that you're visible in every project even if you're not adding value. Getting things done, e.g. operations is no longer valued

Advice to Management

Have some integrity and stand up to HR and the exec's that HP is no longer the place where everyone flocks to. Most people love their job but no longer love the company. We used to show up on the Fortune 25 list of most desireable company to work for. I don't think we've been in the Top 500 since Carly started.

2. When I was working there I was not informed of what was happening because I was a temp.

Former Employee - Lab Assistant
    Former Employee - Lab Assistant

I worked at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

You can learn alot from other people if you are starting out.
    Nice campus to work.
    Good cafeteria food.

Cons

When I was working there I was not informed of what was happening because I was a temp. There was a huge disconnect between management and me because alot of things the rest of the team was working on were confidential to me yet I was expected to know what was happening somehow!
    My pay was low due to being highered on by a temp agency.
    My biggest problem was that I did not have any clear boss I had a group of people that wanted me to assist them with projects.

Advice to Management

Companies should invest in their employees and now it seems like companies don't care about people and just need bodies to fill positions.

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard