Hewlett-Packard

www.hp.com
  www.hp.com
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

It's your reality that's bad, it's the unreality - that's my take on Mark Hurd's leadership anyway.

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

- People in general are pretty easy going and knowledgeable, especially the few old-time employees that still remain
- Flexible work hours, great if you have a big side-hobby or outside of work project. I was able to get some finance certification on a side fairly easily while working.

Cons

- Prior to great recession there was a higher willingness to help between people, lower morale now. The company is promising to improve reward and recognition but nothing tangible yet.
- Do not expect any raises/job security
- No immediate benefits for learning and becoming an expert in an area, maybe job security but don't count on it.
- Paraphrasing the words of Dilbert's creator and the title of this review - Hurd's leadership consists of convincing employees that they are selfish for anything they get and it's totally ok for him to get 40 million bonuses. I have stopped listening to anything he says about 2 years ago.
- Benchmarking has made HP an average company it many respects
- Large employee turnover

Management has been cutting costs in the organization ruthlessly in order to free up capital for acquisitons of outside companies. Turn around and take a look at what you've done to the core.

8797 Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard (View Most Recent)

One of the biggest IT companies but one of the best?

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Good benefit and vacation package, a lot of discounts offered for a variety of businesses. Opportunities to work around the world since HP is a worldwide company. I haven't really took advantage of it but its out there.

Cons

Compensation is slim, bonuses is slim, maybe its because of the contract I'm on or the economy. Education reimbursement is slim too.

Pay attention to your most valuable asset, the employee, you can attract the best talent if you just focus on the bottom line.

HP doesn't care about a quality product: their People.

Former Employee - Technical Solutions Representative V
    Former Employee - Technical Solutions Representative V

I worked at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Many people were given options to work from home. Decent PCs were issued for employees and turn around time for replacements were fast. Liked the idea that HP will push back on customers to not do work for free, unlike EDS.

Cons

The EDS merger with HP was horrible. Many people were incorrectly coded and took large pay cuts. HP realized this but, were unwilling to remediate the issue. This was a major insult to numerous people who put in many years of hard work to earn their salary. The continued layoff of quality employees continue and are either not replaced or replaced with under qualified off-shore employees that will move to another company that is willing to pay more.

Employees need to be properly compensated for the quality work that is done. The paycuts and re-org of pay scales was not done to save the company, but to stop the loss of potenial revenue. Once again I refer to Business 101: A Happy Employee is a Good Employee

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!