There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Feel more like a number than an individual contributor.

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

You have brand recognition of a worldwide company and that can get you in the door on certain sales opportunities.

Cons

You are not always treated fairly and there isn't a lot of recognition. In a company this big, you are a number and not always treated the best in my opinion.

Advice to Management

Know how to do the job of the people you are leading/managing. If you can do the job, you're more likely to be supportive and understanding of frustrations and day to day operations.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

HP Throws a Lot at Their Employees Without Much Support

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

I really love how I am able to work from home and make my own hours. * HP is open to new ideas. This depends on the group you are in. Some groups are more flexible than others. * HP has great co-workers.

Cons

* I and others on the team have had to work a lot of nights and weekends, even on days I originally planned to take off. There is a lot of "get it done now" and tight deadlines. * You always get this feeling that your job can be outsourced to India. * It seems that only those in certain groups are publically recognized. * They tell you there are opportunities, but they overload you with so much work, you are unable to go after them. * HP is becoming pennywise-pound foolish. We have to go through a lot of red tape to purchase the software we need to do our jobs. In some cases, we are not allowed to purchaes the software. * HP is putting pressure on us to go with "cheap" contracting agencies, rather than on contracting agencies that may be a little more expensive but provide quality work.

Advice to Management

Stop the self-congratulating webcasts and meet personally with those who work for you. How are they feeling? You need to walk around the “virtual” factory floor. People are tired of being told by Mark H. that all of their jobs can be easily outsourced to India and China. We get the picture. Now give us some encouragement. If you want the company to do well, nurture us as you would a plant. Give us encouragement and opportunities. By the way, you are not providing opportunities when you throw a bunch of web links at us.

2. Okay place to work

Former Employee - Applications Engineer
    Former Employee - Applications Engineer

I worked at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Great place to work before management structure changed and attrition increased when HP acquisition news started;

Cons

Salary increases are minimal, very difficult to move up

Advice to Management

Respect and recognize hard work ethic to give feedback engineers deserve