Hewlett-Packard

2008 Layoff victim

Former Employee - Hardware Design Engineer in Vancouver, WA
Former Employee - Hardware Design Engineer in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

- Hewlett-Packard employs some of the most competent people in the industry. When you work there, you know that you will be surrounded by great co-workers.

- In Vancouver, there was a great company culture. There was a bowling league, and there were company-wide parties twice in the 6 months I was there.

- Work/Life balance was great. They allowed great flexibility in hours.

- There was a free printing lab where you could print very large (36" wide) photos.

- I worked with the most artistic group of engineers I've ever met. The printing business seems to attract photographers and others interested in color.

Cons

- When I started working at HP after a long-term co-op position at another company, where I learned a massive amount over 2 years and was treated as an engineer after my first year. Employees who had worked elsewhere before HP treated me like I had a little experience. Employees who went to HP straight out of college (like I technically did) treated me as if I had no experience. This was very frustrating as the team was overloaded with work yet I wasn't considered competent enough to be given bigger responsibilities.

- Layoffs. Though we were treated well. A former HR person started up a layoff support group where we'd meet weekly for questions and answers. She brought in Unemployment people, TAA counselors, bankers, and everyone she could think of that we'd need. She was really great.

-There is no on-site HR.

1st level of management: You do a great job, keep up the good work!

Upper Management: Please stop focusing on buying other companies and instead focus on appreciating the amazing employees you do have and letting them develop the products you hired them to develop.

9966 Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard (View Most Recent)

Deadend position

Current Employee - Product Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Product Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Surrounded by very knowledgeable people

Cons

Senior management is not interested in you career goals, only having you complete deadlines for work not related to your area because they have gotten rid of people in that area. This is constantly done

Allocate money where it is needed

Anonymous review..

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer Program Manager in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer Program Manager in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Co-worker are the best professional with pride on work.

Cons

Minimum employee benefit. Salary is consider low in the bayarea.

Stop moving jobs oversea. U.S. employee will be burning out if this keeps up.

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard