Hewlett-Packard

www.hp.com

2008 Layoff victim

Hardware Design Engineer (Former Employee) Vancouver, WA

Pros- Hewlett-Packard employs some of the most competent people in the industry. When you work there, you know that you will be surrounded by great co-workers.

- In Vancouver, there was a great company culture. There was a bowling league, and there were company-wide parties twice in the 6 months I was there.

- Work/Life balance was great. They allowed great flexibility in hours.

- There was a free printing lab where you could print very large (36" wide) photos.

- I worked with the most artistic group of engineers I've ever met. The printing business seems to attract photographers and others interested in color.

Cons- When I started working at HP after a long-term co-op position at another company, where I learned a massive amount over 2 years and was treated as an engineer after my first year. Employees who had worked elsewhere before HP treated me like I had a little experience. Employees who went to HP straight out of college (like I technically did) treated me as if I had no experience. This was very frustrating as the team was overloaded with work yet I wasn't considered competent enough to be given bigger responsibilities.

- Layoffs. Though we were treated well. A former HR person started up a layoff support group where we'd meet weekly for questions and answers. She brought in Unemployment people, TAA counselors, bankers, and everyone she could think of that we'd need. She was really great.

-There is no on-site HR.

Advice to Senior Management1st level of management: You do a great job, keep up the good work!

Upper Management: Please stop focusing on buying other companies and instead focus on appreciating the amazing employees you do have and letting them develop the products you hired them to develop.

Lack of career growth

IT Analyst (Former Employee) Austin, TX

I worked at Hewlett-Packard

Pros: Work-life balance is good. Flex time is amazing. Cons: No employee recognition. No career advancement. Advice to Senior Management: Promote employee recognition, that way you can increase employee engagement… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Ok place

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros: HP is a fairly good place to work. They were supportive of… Cons: Certainly lower/entry level positions tend to be dead-end jobs from which it… Advice to Senior Management: If you want to attract and keep professional poepl, be sure that your acane salary rules don't… More
There are newer reviews on Hewlett-Packard.

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!