Hewlett-Packard

www.hp.com

HP - not a great long term career prospect

Current Employee - Outsourcing Services  in  Cincinnati, OH
Current Employee - Outsourcing Services in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

There is a fair amount of flexibility in work hours and locations, programs to work from home, etc.; immediate management tends to be reasonable and competent and colleagues work hard to do the right thing; Good place to get some experience to take another company

Cons

Big disconnect between Senior Management and Middle management and workers. Compensation is stagnant / declining: pitiful if any raises (1-2 % is a good raise for a top performer) with many not getting any increase in the last several years; unrealistic expectations from senior management results in missed bonuses for staff, poor employee morale. Lots of doublespeak and dancing especially regarding HR type issues and regular cuts to employee programs like stock purchase. Frequent workforce reductions at the staff levels. Executive level positions tend to be external hires, so limited mobility up beyond the staff level. Very short term focused

Keep in mind that people are your most important asset in the long run and treat them that way.

Other Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

HP, a horrible place to attempt to make a career.

Former Employee - Systems Engineer V  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer V in Houston, TX

I worked at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

If you're just getting started in your career, HP is a good place to obtain knowledge needed to be succesful in the industry.

Cons

Constant uncertainty with layoffs, downsizing, and moving operations overseas. Less than fair pay. Less than regular pay increases, even if you get excellent reviews regularly. Too many chiefs! The management structure at HP is extremely top heavy, and is not downsized before engineers and others who actually perform the work. Ever increasing responsibilities for those left after layoffs and downsizing, with no promotion.

I worked there for over 10 years, was a key contributor, represented HP in my industry forums, yet HP did nothing to improve morale, management did not listen to my concerns, and they did little to try and retain me.

Do more to retain your talent. HP is at the bottom of the list for pay in this industry. Houston Management, don't think you can keep your talent by thinking there is nowhere else in the area for people to go!

HP is not for the people who want to set the world on fire.

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Work/Life balance is good. People are laid back. Nice environment. Local management is great!

Cons

It will take an act of god to get promoted or any significant raise. For the most part you stay in the same position and if you want to take a lateral move, there is opportunity to make the same money doing something else. Average salariy increase is estimated between 1 and 2% a year. Local managers are given very little money to give to their employees. In Short, it doesn't matter how good or how hard you work because in the end, you will be given next to nothing with a whole new set of goals to meet. Baby Boomers are paid well. Younger workers are in a bad situation.

Fix the pay situation. It is a complete disaster right now. I would bet it is the industries worst. I have never seen a more unmotivating salary structure.

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard.

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!