HP ES

Current Employee - Manager II in Herndon, VA
Current Employee - Manager II in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Good people at HP ES, a lot of folks who have been there (legacy EDS) for a very long time; they know their jobs and their customers. Lot's of former military, and a very military-friendly environment

Cons

Benefits packages are bare bones, facilities in Herndon do not compare well to competitors in the area. Need to see the 2008 pay levels restored.

Advice to Management

For the new CEO: focus on hardware quality, and making that hardware available (i.e. certified) competitive on the merits for Government customers. HP may be the biggest PC maker, but the quality is poor, and there are too many product lines. Scale back a bit, focus on a quality product in each segment, and then market the heck out of it. Focus on WebOS and make a true business-quality product. Find ways to make HP product something customers demand, rather than something we sell. Sort out the internal wrangling - why is it cheaper for ES to sell other vendors products?

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Mark Hurd resignation gives hope

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Local management is very good Talented colleagues Flexibility to work anywhere Some hope has returned that all employees will be valued again

Cons

CEO, CIO don't value employees or their productivity Attrition has been high WFR & Attrition leads to too much work for those remaining Bureaucracy has increased dramatically and now rivals that of governments Focus on cost cutting has destroyed much of the innovative environment that led to the rise of HP

Advice to Management

Seize this chance to return to some of what made HP great. An innovative environment filled with loyal, talented people that willingly gave more of themselves to the company.

Look Elsewhere...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Big brand name looks good on a resume.

Cons

I was an employee of EDS prior to HP's acquisition of the company. I really enjoyed working at EDS, but after HP took control everything went downhill... - Workforce Reductions - My team originally had more than 20 people, now we have less than 5 (needless to say, we do not produce the same quantity or quality of work as before) - Lack of Reward for High Performance - After the acquisition, all EDS employees received a permanent 5% pay cut. HP claimed our salaries were "inflated". However, I have found out since then that prior to the pay cut my salary was in between the Low and Median salary for my particular position's pay band (doesn't seem inflated to me). After the pay cut, still between the Low and Median, but close neighbors with the Low. Moving on... last year I received a P+ (exceeds expectations) performance rating, and a promotion in job level. The promotion moved me up to a higher pay band, with a Median salary over $15K higher than that of the previous pay band. Yet my salary is still 5% lower than prior to the acquisition. - Workplace Cutbacks - All people managers had offices (you know, with 4 walls and a door) at EDS, but now they have cubes. I had a cube, but they took that away and now I work from home. I do have the option of going into the office and using a "free address workstation" or something like that though. Also, they've graciously provided me with a voice mail box (as useful as a pager in my opinion) and a calling card! No reimbursement for use of my landline, mobile, or internet access for work purposes though.

Advice to Management

Get a clue.