Hewlett-Packard

Great learning opportunity

Former Employee - Marketing Program Manager
Former Employee - Marketing Program Manager

I worked at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Smart, good colleagues. Depending on your manager, lots of opportunity to learn new things. Flexibility to work remotely greatly contributes to work/life balance.

Cons

Management driven by idea of the day. Too many layers between senior management and worker bees so that the two seem quite out of sync. Working a lot with Asia from the US West coast means lots of very long days.

None.

9464 Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard (View Most Recent)

HP is ripe for a change

Current Employee - Program Manager in Zürich (Switzerland)
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Zürich (Switzerland)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

I think that the traditional culture still being held by most of the employees (older) are very much appreciated. There is a good sense of trust which allows for faster engagement and sharing of information that can lead to better results. HP' is a fairly large company which does offer tons of possibilities, but it may not be so easy to move around given that it has been in a redution mode for the last 4-5 years. I like the company, although it has significantly degnerated over the past few years since the hiring of Mark Hurd.

Cons

Currently one of the most worrisome problems is the lack of management willing to hear the truth. They only want to hear what is "good". This has some plusses in terms of not depressing people, but at one point or another, reality will surface... and with a vengeance. One of the more important cultural HP tradition of "open door policy" has been eradicated.. and the current managerial fads are to load people with more and more reporting. Instead of spending time to progress real valuable improvements, we end up wasting much of our day doing reports or slides for reviews.
    The other problem in the company is that there are very few win win situtations left. But people are unwilling to make any changes that may, in the short term lead to poorer results, but position the company for much stronger longer term gains. Everything is based on this month, this quarter... with nobody watching out for where we want to be 3-5 years from now.

Be humble and strong enough to ask for the truth from the troops and be willing to actually consider their suggestions.

HP ES not sure what is after Hurds Departure

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Glad that Mr.Hurd has left the company.. Who just try's to keep the senior management and the board busy by trying to acquire smaller companies, with borrowed money

Cons

Hp is yet to find a leader..

Please treat /train your employees..it used to be people company..

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard