Hewlett-Packard

www.hp.com
  www.hp.com
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Changed alot over the past few years

Current Employee - Systems Analyst
Current Employee - Systems Analyst

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Many changes in the work place at such a large company make it a good place to learn about bureacracy in large organizations

Cons

extremely impersonnal workplace where managers are unaware of what their reports are doing. This makes working at this company appear to be in vain from a career point of view. Most people appear to be looking for another job and the ones who have not left yet have simply been unable to find a suitable replacement.

Management is not interested in changing the company as they are able to reap sufficient profit running the company in the current manner. If you are a manager then you are probably more content than if you are a simple employee.

9094 Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard (View Most Recent)

"WFR" = Weapon for Retaliation for some HP Managers

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Work-life balance is a good reason to work at HP

Cons

HP though their own policies has shown that as a company, overall, they really do not care about employees - they care about the bottom line (a very short-sided view) - they have allowed WFR (Work Force Reduction) to become a tool for some (not all) managers and HR collectively to avoid managing - managers and HR, find they no longer have to work at their roles, they no longer have to coach or guide, or have the tough conversations - there is no longer a need them to be "people smart " as part of their accountability - HP has given them an "out" with the inception of WFR and as a direct end result, the company has created a command-and-control style of leadership - fear is now the ruling factor, not loyalty or inspiration

Make changes in management and HR accountability - bring back true people management - open up promotion and growth from within (not just "career self-reliance") - allow the employees to truly focus in on the products (without fear of retaliation), that is what they get paid for. Other companies will figure this out (if they haven't already) and core talent will leave (when other opportunities present themselves), products will suffer, quality will suffer and ultimately, customers will recognize this and choose other companies to purchase from

Low pay!

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Employees are well respected. Good career growth at this respectable company. World travel is a plus. Good work-life balance. Professional atmosphere.

Cons

Low pay! Very slow to give raises. I have taken pay cuts over the last several years. I made more money 5 years ago. Management turn-over is crazy. Too many times I end up working for a new manager who I have to prove myself all over again. Then, just as people are to be reviewed for a raise, you get a new manager who tells you to wait until next year (again). Low anual bonus is almost not worth getting.

I spend a lot of time thinking about money and bills instead of working.

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard