There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Don't let the HP Way completely disappear ... don't forget what made this company successful!

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Palo Alto, CA
Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

I have incredibly talented, diverse colleagues who see the value in working collaboratively. Most everyone is intelligent and extremely ethical, and my professional network is much richer after my time at HP. Excellent benefits, though for those hired after August 2008, they are shrinking. The jobshare program is one of the best out there for those with families. There is some flexibility with regards to working remotely, depending on your manager. HP works hard to offer volunteer opportunities, interesting speakers and work-related but fun activities. There is a good sense of team on a smaller scale. HP has an incredibly rich history. It is the biggest and one of the best-known technology company in the world, and having big brand experience is valuable wherever you go or end up.

Cons

Career growth and advancement potential is sorely restricted, unless you’re already overseeing a large team. Only one person on our 20-person team has received a promotion in the last year and a half, while our director was promoted twice during that time thanks to the strong performance we all delivered. The real work is being done by individual contributors. Compensation is often well below that of comparable companies. Record revenue and performance in FY07 resulted in 1-3% bonuses for most people with less than 10 years of experience. Most who have left HP in the last year – either willingly or as a result of layoffs – end up end up making between 15-20% more elsewhere. Hurd's constant cost-cutting and routine reorganizations by those at the top take a big toll on everyone else. It might look good to shareholders, but it disrupts everything these departments have going on. Many of us are handling multiple roles and have dramatically increased responsibilities thanks to these cutbacks, without relevant or fair compensation for this work.

Advice to Management

There is so much potential here, yet we continue to see these amazing, successful people drifting away from HP. You must be seeing it. I'm talking people who hit their numbers, are supportive team members and all-around rock stars who should be promoted. I can honestly say that every person on my team is passively or actively job hunting given frustration over either a) absurdly below-market-rate compensation for their work or b) lack of options for career growth, or both. The big joke at going-away parties is that those who are leaving will be back in a year or two, after the competitor has promoted them and they can come back to HP at a higher title and job grade. Provide training sessions for younger and mid-level employees so we can show you we are serious about staying with HP and moving up. Instead of rewarding individuals based on personal preference or because they are threatening to leave, reward those that surpass their goals and are loyal to the company – this is rare, but we are out there! HP has such a well-known reputation for being a good and fair employer. To many of us here now, this is ancient history. Please bring it back and make us proud to work for HP.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. RETURN THE HEWLETT PACKARD PRINCIPALS TO HP.

Former Employee - Retired in Lahaina, HI
    Former Employee - Retired in Lahaina, HI

I worked at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

It is a large fairly stable company. New CEO has a much better focus than previous executive. If it can return to the philosophy of "Bill and Dave" just a bit it could be great again. The potential for great engineering and management training is still I believe one of the best attributes of this company.

Cons

The attempted change from an engineering driven company to a "marketing" driven company 10 years ago, was not successful and caused a dramatic drop in employee satisfaction. This along with the outsourcing ( "selling of jobs" ) from the USA to India and China has caused the loss of some of the most talented people in the industry. Customer Satisfaction , a former management goal, has suffered. It also devastated one of the company's greatest assets. Bill Hewlett and David Packard considered their employees as their greatest asset.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees as replaceable parts and empower once again all HP people to participate and share in the company's success. Allow the management team, time again to coach and inspire their employees for a "win-win" goal.

2. HPFS - A growing Asset Management Services provider.

Current Employee - Marketing in New Providence, Union, NJ
    Current Employee - Marketing in New Providence, Union, NJ

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Fairness and opportunity to advance your own ideas. There is also the ability to work with the larger HP which has many different product and service offerings. HP is on a roll right now and I believe the CEO is managing the organization for both short term succes and long term viability.

Cons

As a financial services company doing the same thing in an industry that has not changed much, it can seem like things never change much.

Advice to Management

Continued focus on developing ideas for growth from within the company. There are a lot of smart people within the organization, who, when motivated, can provide a wealth of ideas for the companies growth.