Hewlett-Packard

www.hp.com
  www.hp.com
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Don't let the HP Way completely disappear ... don't forget what made this company successful!

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Palo Alto, CA
Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

I have incredibly talented, diverse colleagues who see the value in working collaboratively. Most everyone is intelligent and extremely ethical, and my professional network is much richer after my time at HP.

Excellent benefits, though for those hired after August 2008, they are shrinking. The jobshare program is one of the best out there for those with families. There is some flexibility with regards to working remotely, depending on your manager.

HP works hard to offer volunteer opportunities, interesting speakers and work-related but fun activities. There is a good sense of team on a smaller scale.

HP has an incredibly rich history. It is the biggest and one of the best-known technology company in the world, and having big brand experience is valuable wherever you go or end up.

Cons

Career growth and advancement potential is sorely restricted, unless you’re already overseeing a large team. Only one person on our 20-person team has received a promotion in the last year and a half, while our director was promoted twice during that time thanks to the strong performance we all delivered. The real work is being done by individual contributors.

Compensation is often well below that of comparable companies. Record revenue and performance in FY07 resulted in 1-3% bonuses for most people with less than 10 years of experience. Most who have left HP in the last year – either willingly or as a result of layoffs – end up end up making between 15-20% more elsewhere.

Hurd's constant cost-cutting and routine reorganizations by those at the top take a big toll on everyone else. It might look good to shareholders, but it disrupts everything these departments have going on. Many of us are handling multiple roles and have dramatically increased responsibilities thanks to these cutbacks, without relevant or fair compensation for this work.

There is so much potential here, yet we continue to see these amazing, successful people drifting away from HP. You must be seeing it. I'm talking people who hit their numbers, are supportive team members and all-around rock stars who should be promoted. I can honestly say that every person on my team is passively or actively job hunting given frustration over either a) absurdly below-market-rate compensation for their work or b) lack of options for career growth, or both.

The big joke at going-away parties is that those who are leaving will be back in a year or two, after the competitor has promoted them and they can come back to HP at a higher title and job grade. Provide training sessions for younger and mid-level employees so we can show you we are serious about staying with HP and moving up. Instead of rewarding individuals based on personal preference or because they are threatening to leave, reward those that surpass their goals and are loyal to the company – this is rare, but we are out there!

HP has such a well-known reputation for being a good and fair employer. To many of us here now, this is ancient history. Please bring it back and make us proud to work for HP.

9451 Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard (View Most Recent)

Decent place to work, but losing its shine

Current Employee - Program Manager in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

HP is one of those few companies, that because of its sheer diversity of offerings, allows you the opportunity to work in a number of different functions and businesses from SW to HW, FW to Services, Sales to Support.

Cons

This is not exclusive to HP..... little room for advancement, loss of certain benefits, ongoing work force reductions, little recognition (managers seem too busy to notice), etc.

Be realistic about what is possible to do.... consider the consequences of cost cutting actions (not just short term, but mid/long term as well)

Executive hands in the cookie jar while employees suffer

Current Employee - Marketing Director in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

HP still supports a work-life balance for employees.

Cons

Executives are continually taking more for themselves and giving less and less to the employees, even when the company is making record profits. HP is in an endless cycle of acquisitions and layoff where productive workers are let go. Management decisions are made focusing on the short term and not the long term.

Share the rewards more equitably with the employees and share in the failures as well. Excutive pay and bonuses do not seem to coorelate with company and division results. Executives get large bonuses even when employees in their division do not.

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard