There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Don't let the HP Way completely disappear ... don't forget what made this company successful!

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Palo Alto, CA
Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

I have incredibly talented, diverse colleagues who see the value in working collaboratively. Most everyone is intelligent and extremely ethical, and my professional network is much richer after my time at HP.

Excellent benefits, though for those hired after August 2008, they are shrinking. The jobshare program is one of the best out there for those with families. There is some flexibility with regards to working remotely, depending on your manager.

HP works hard to offer volunteer opportunities, interesting speakers and work-related but fun activities. There is a good sense of team on a smaller scale.

HP has an incredibly rich history. It is the biggest and one of the best-known technology company in the world, and having big brand experience is valuable wherever you go or end up.

Cons

Career growth and advancement potential is sorely restricted, unless you’re already overseeing a large team. Only one person on our 20-person team has received a promotion in the last year and a half, while our director was promoted twice during that time thanks to the strong performance we all delivered. The real work is being done by individual contributors.

Compensation is often well below that of comparable companies. Record revenue and performance in FY07 resulted in 1-3% bonuses for most people with less than 10 years of experience. Most who have left HP in the last year – either willingly or as a result of layoffs – end up end up making between 15-20% more elsewhere.

Hurd's constant cost-cutting and routine reorganizations by those at the top take a big toll on everyone else. It might look good to shareholders, but it disrupts everything these departments have going on. Many of us are handling multiple roles and have dramatically increased responsibilities thanks to these cutbacks, without relevant or fair compensation for this work.

Advice to Management

There is so much potential here, yet we continue to see these amazing, successful people drifting away from HP. You must be seeing it. I'm talking people who hit their numbers, are supportive team members and all-around rock stars who should be promoted. I can honestly say that every person on my team is passively or actively job hunting given frustration over either a) absurdly below-market-rate compensation for their work or b) lack of options for career growth, or both.

The big joke at going-away parties is that those who are leaving will be back in a year or two, after the competitor has promoted them and they can come back to HP at a higher title and job grade. Provide training sessions for younger and mid-level employees so we can show you we are serious about staying with HP and moving up. Instead of rewarding individuals based on personal preference or because they are threatening to leave, reward those that surpass their goals and are loyal to the company – this is rare, but we are out there!

HP has such a well-known reputation for being a good and fair employer. To many of us here now, this is ancient history. Please bring it back and make us proud to work for HP.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

A great company on its way to being an average company

Current Employee - Technology Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Technology Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

HP is the first company I've worked for that seemed to treat employees like adults. I know it sounds silly, but many employees are home officed. If you're not doing work specifically related to a contract, you are encouraged to work from home to save time and commuting costs. Few companies in my experience will trust that their employees are working if they are not directly under their heel. The home office adds other great benefits such as HP paying for your phone and internet bills. They also have a great 401k match, and a stock purchase plan.

Cons

Management has been cutting costs lately. The loss of the company cars has hurt moral greatly, and attrition is affecting some top talent. Also, management is clearly tightening the reigns on other "niceties", but benefits are still better than most. Working for a large corporation has many drawbacks such as bureaucracy, and ridiculous mandatory corporate training which provides no benefit at all to most employees. The good thing is most first line mangers do an excellent job of cutting through the red tape to make employees lives easier in spite of policies made by senior management.

Advice to Management

Listen to your first line managers. What's good for some is not good for all, and share information more freely within the company.

2. Sacrificing the HP Way for the bottom line.

Current Employee - Manufacturing Assistant in Corvallis, OR
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Assistant in Corvallis, OR

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Used to be an interesting and fun place to work. HP used to try and actively develop it's staff.

Cons

Watching your job move overseas. Senior management likes to reward themselves. This company has decided to settle for mediocrity. There is no advancement within the company. Raises are seldom given out.

Advice to Management

Share the wealth with ALL employees. Quit rewarding do-nothing managers.