Nice and relaxed place

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer V in San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Electrical Engineer V in San Diego, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Friendly, calm, generous, diverse, fexible hours

Cons

poor management, no team work

Advice to Management

Develop a startegy and do it consistently instead of jumping from one failing project to another

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

People oriented company but very bureaucratic.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Chesterbrook, PA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Chesterbrook, PA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Good company to work for if job security is your priority. Sure there were lay-offs when CEO Mark Hurd was at the helm. However, the new CEO, Leo Apotheker, is more people oriented and seeks to reverse this trend. He has restored many of the benefits employees previously lost. My moral is gradually improving. Many employees have the option to work remotely from home offices which is convenient and time saving. Lots of opportunities for training classes and certifications for those interested in furthering their technical skills.

Cons

Difficult to cut through red tape and bureaucratic inertia to get things done. Re-organizations occur frequently which is disruptive. Team members are geographically dispersed across the US and other countries which may create feelings of loneliness and isolation. Many employees spend a substantial amount of time attending conference calls working with people they have known for years but may have never met in person. Opportunities for advancement are limited. Raises are 2-3% annually even when the economy is doing well. HP prefers to give end-of-year bonuses which are supposed to be performance based. Due to the recession, many employees have not received raises in two or more years. Upper management tries to encourage employees to seek advancement (for example, Six Sigma and PMP certifications) but little or no reward is given for attaining these.

Advice to Management

Employees are still bruised from the cutbacks and lay-offs that occurred during 2009 and 2010. I have watched many of our most talented people leave of their own accord. Continue to make improvements in worker compensation and benefits to reduce the brain drain that will inevitably occur when the US economy recovers from this recession. Reduce the number of re-organizations. Most of us have well defined skill sets and end up doing the same job in different roles anyway. The constant shuffling is counter-productive and prevents employees from creating lasting bonds with other coworkers.

It was a joke, glad I left, wish I had left sooner

Former Employee - Clerk II in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Clerk II in Nashville, TN

I worked at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Fair pay and benefits, equipment was in fair to good condition, some employees were friendly, knowledgable of their jobs and did good work

Cons

I noticed during my 3 years that many people do not work and spend half the day socializing or something other besides working, management seemed lost at times, many didn't communicate well and showed excessive favoritism

Advice to Management

Learn to communicate with employees in a professional and friendly way, dont' punish employees who are doing good work, hire people who are qualified and willing to do their jobs the right way