Highgate Hotels

www.highgatecareers.com
  www.highgatecareers.com
There are newer employer reviews for Highgate Hotels

Highgate Intership Program afforded tremendous opportunity!!

Current Employee - Human Resources Intern in New York, NY
Current Employee - Human Resources Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Highgate Hotels as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The Internship program has made leaps and bounds from its humble beginnings. In the HR department, I was given my own workspace and learned a multitude of functions and computer software associated with HR as well as standard operating procedures. Additionally, I was given multiple projects that provided autonomy and sat in on meetings with directors of the departments as well as with the unions. The Speaker Series provided to NYC interns was invaluable as every week we were given the opportunity to hear from different high level executives as well as network. I attended the onboarding ceremony for a newly acquired hotel, as well as met owners, principals, and the COO of the company as well as multiple Senior VPs. This was an extremely beneficial program and led to an offer being extended from the company. As with most internships, you get from it what you put into it, but if you work hard, this internship will pay dividends ten fold.

Cons

There were maybe two to three days during the 8-week internship where I didn't have many tasks to complete and found myself doing more of the mundane part of the job, such as filing or answering phones. That being said, this is still part of the job and I never felt like I wasn't learning something. These instances were very few and far between though as almost every day a new task or project was assigned which allowed me to further my knowledge of the human resources, the company and the hospitality industry in general.

Just continue to make your interns feel as at home and comfortable as you did with me. I felt that the environment was very conducive to allowing me to speak my mind and opinion and to genuinely contribute the company in various ways throughout the internship. Whether that was new ideas to increase efficiency and productivity or just new events or programs to increase employee morale.

29 Other Employee Reviews for Highgate Hotels (View Most Recent)

Internship program is evolving

Former Employee - Accounting Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Accounting Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Highgate Hotels as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

exposure to many different career paths in the company, networking opportunities, I think that with more time the internship program can evolve to be much better

Cons

not enough independence for interns, at least in the accounting department--I didn't have my own computer and mainly just observed what the employees did

A Company Full of Opportunity

I worked at Highgate Hotels full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I worked in the Corporate office for many years and had an amazing experience. For those employees that are hard working, instinctive and innovative, the company offers no ceilings and many opportunities. I was very rarely told no when I had a new idea or wanted to try a different way of doing things. I felt valued and inspired to do my best work. I left only when presented with an incredible, one-of-a-kind opportunity.

Cons

No company is perfect and with any job you have to pick your poison. It is a lean company in general which puts an unfair burden on employees during tough times. However, the flip side of that is that "lean" requires no layoffs during those same tough times. They try to pick great employees, then stick with them. The company definitely has a strong corporate culture, so it is important to fully understand the culture before joining so that you can determine if you are a good fit.

Seek out the "jewels in the rough" at the lower levels.

There are newer employer reviews for Highgate Hotels