Highmark

There are newer employer reviews for Highmark

Primarily a good experience

Former Employee - Analyst in Camp Hill, PA
Former Employee - Analyst in Camp Hill, PA

I worked at Highmark full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Some great people, complex environment, variety, and challenge. Also, a wonderful gym

Cons

Limited opportunity and creativity in my group. Could be better teamwork. With frequent people shuffling, you could never feel too secure.

If someone has been there for numerous years and are vested, give them a little benefit of the doubt and maybe help them find other work in the company during a displacement. They must have some some things right and well to be there for 10+ years. Maybe a little work change within the company could rekindle the spirit and assertion to master something new before pulling the rug out and treating them like a washed up rag in the end

103 Other Employee Reviews for Highmark (View Most Recent)

Very Political, not based on your performance. Based on who you know

I worked at Highmark full-time

Pros

There were no pros to this job

Cons

Pay, politics, must be a female to move up the ladder

Hope you start taking care of employees and be more fair

Run, do not walk, away from this company. Their arrogance is unbelievable.

Former Employee - Technical Business Analyst in Camp Hill, PA
    Former Employee - Technical Business Analyst in Camp Hill, PA

I worked at Highmark full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The two best things that came out of my employment are that I met some awfully nice people, and that I was able to use the company's tuition reimbursement to get my MBA.

Cons

I am part of the recent lay offs after working there for over five years, so it may seem that I am just angry or bitter but facts are facts.

This company does not value it's most important resource...it's people. I can't speak for the experiences of others except to say that everyone that I have spoken to who has left the company is glad that they did. As for myself, although being told to leave was shocking, it was also a huge relief to get away from the pressure and anxiety that was a constant in my life. The expectations are not realistic.

After 4+ years of good ratings, I took a different (better?) job within the company and after less than a year, received a review that was so unbelievably wrong that I honestly thought they must be talking about someone else. I wrote a rebuttal, not wanting to allow that on my record without at least standing up for myself. I now know that it was just the foundation for being laid off. I'm not one to whine about life not being fair, but it truly was an unfair representation of me as an employee and as a person. When I asked my manager (who, incidentally, I had only spoken to three times in my 11 months there) if he could provide any examples or basis for the statementsade in my review, he simply said no.

Part of my severance agreement...should I choose to accept it...is that I can NEVER be employee by Highmark or any of it's subsidiaries again. And while they lay off hundreds of people, they continue to post new job openings in the same areas and make not effort to relocate displaced employees. Employee turnover is expensive and yet they are telling people, in essence....get out and never come back. Complete arrogance.

So I thank them for the Master's Degree and the plethora of "life lessons" and I plan to take the money and run far, far away from their arrogance and dysfunction.

Get to know your people. Understand that they are your greatest assets. Understand that your arrogance is going to kill this company.

There are newer employer reviews for Highmark