Hightail

www.hightail.com

Great upside, if you can deal with the downsides

Engineering Manager (Current Employee) Campbell, CA

ProsGood work-life balance for most employees. Positive culture with lots of nice people. Location in Campbell's Pruneyard or SF near Caltrain makes for easier than average commute. Very transparent exec staff that provides Sunday night status updates and Monday lunches with open Q&A. Lots of work to be done and room to grow in a competitive field. Smarts and hard work are noticed, and employees are empowered to take the ball and run without politics, egos, and fear standing in the way. Decent benefits with "honors" vacation system and an small but adequate gym in the office park.

ConsDespite overall good staffing decisions in the last year, company still lacks enough top-level tech people to solve problems and provide architecture. Lots of employees can sound the fire alarm, but too few are capable of raising the ladder or holding the hose. Siloed teams led by various Engineering "Directors" perform redundant work and step on each other's toes. "Tech debt" is evident in lack of differentiating features, bad QA process, and non-scalable infrastructure which will take some time to migrate off of. Executives make an effort to be cool and different, but sometimes come off as silly and in over their head.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company could use a few less cheerleaders and a few more all-star players. Stop saying teams should communicate more and force them to via organized cross-team projects and training. Also, get the Marketing team under control - you've given them a fat check, but they don't seem to understand what wins customers. I'm not just talking about the billboard.

Customer Service Rep

Customer Support Representative (Former Employee) Campbell, CA

I worked at Hightail full-time for more than a year

Pros: As far as the pro, the only thing is they… Cons: Very low pay compare to other company. Was overworked for the salary that I was making. They seems to not really care about employee's opinion… Advice to Senior Management: Before making decision for promotion, look at who work hard first and… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

GSD with a fun team

I have been working at Hightail full-time

Pros: Very transparent exec staff. There are many opportunities to grow and learn. The… Cons: Behind in some aspects of the product where we need to catch up to our… Advice to Senior Management: Keep going in the same direction. All the change is… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Hightail.

Worked for Hightail? Contribute to the Community!