There are newer employer reviews for Hillshire Brands

Keep your head low and avoid eye contact

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hillshire Brands full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A handful of good people and major brands to be affiliated with, but even that is getting old.

Cons

Lord don't get me started. The new single source system for ingredients, packaging, raw materials, etc is fraught with so many bugs and confusion it is not funny; there are so many workarounds and manual fixes it is frustrating to everyone. Most of the functional areas like marketing, procurement, etc, have their own cliques and there is almost zero motivation at this place. Some of the brown- nosing just makes you ill. No one acknowledges anyone else, there is hardly any 'good cheer; or camaraderie, and you can almost feel the silent turf wars going on. I can see the look of frustration and disbelief on the faces of new employees as they start to see how things really work. management talks a good game about ownership and entrepreneurial thinking, but it really uses a Theory X type of management styles stuck in the 70's. They really dont want your ideas there, especially if they conflict with what they have in mind already The new CEO is bringing in tons of his old cronies or new upper mgmt and not from among the ranks. He is creating a new company with his vision only it seems. The workers respond by just doing their job and getting through each day, jumping ship, or taking it out on each other. we are really cogs in his weird wheel there.

Advice to Management

I hope you really find super new hot ways of innovation when it comes to serving up hot dogs, breakfast sausage, corn dogs, sausage, and lunch meat. The bloated layers and salaries of upper and middle management are counting on it.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Poor place to work

I have been working at Hillshire Brands

Pros

No pros with this company

Cons

Many cons with this company

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better

Loved those I worked with but not for

Former Employee - Analyst in Downers Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Analyst in Downers Grove, IL

I worked at Hillshire Brands full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good salary and many people you enjoy seeing every day

Cons

No longer care about their employees, healthcare plans are TERRIBLE

Advice to Management

HIllshire/Sara Lee used to be a place that cared about their employees, now they do surveys and then they got negative feedback....guess what they wont show it. Their processes are out of whack, they try to talk about working together but then the higher ups dont know whats going on, they are missing 2 major roles in their customer marketing department because they want to keep it on the cheap. My advice to senior management, leave and ruin a different company. Your current one used to be a great one and it is no longer